Chapter Thirty-nine

"Arthur?" I asked, "What are you doing here?"

He didn't answer. He paused for a second and then started walking determinedly in my direction. I could see his intentions and despite my better judgment, I found myself moving towards him as well.

Finally we met in the middle. He wrapped his arms around my waist pulling me close to his body. He slowly reached up to caress my face and I gripped his sleeves until my knuckles turned white.
The crown on the top of his head was tilted.

We were both breathing heavily as we stared into each others eyes. I couldn't think straight with him so close. In the back of my mind, I knew he shouldn't be here.

"Aren't you supposed to be at your wedding feast?" I asked, barely breathing in fear of his answer.

"There can be no feast if no one got married." He told me, resting his head against mine.

Hope blossomed in my chest, but I still couldn't process anything. Why was he here? He must have saw my confusion, because he hurried to explain.

"I couldn't marry her." Arthur whispered, "I know it is what I should do. After all, it is what is best for Camelot." -- he paused and I forgot how to breath -- "But no matter what, I couldn't bring myself to do it."

I leaned against him, feeling his heart beat against my chest. He looked down at me with those blue eyes and I had never felt more in love than I did at that moment.

"You're not married?" I asked, my voice a little breathless.

He shook his head and said, "I could not marry her while my heart belonged to you."

I smiled, letting go of his sleeves to entangle my fingers in his hair. The crown was knocked off his head and rolled away, but neither one of us could be bothered with it.

"You seemed to love her." I said, frowning, "When I first returned. You looked like you loved her."

"We had gotten close during your absence, yes, but I couldn't love her the way I do you." He told me,  "I tried to. I really did. I hoped I could forget you and fall in love with her, but it was not written in the stars."

"And you love me." I whispered, almost in shock.

He smiled at me and reached up to run his hand through my hair. I had let it down for the wedding and it flowed freely down my back, except for one section braided on the top of my head like a crown.

"And I love you." He agreed, his whispered breath falling on my lips.

The wind whistled past us, bringing the smell of the flowers from the wedding. I didn't know what would happen now that they weren't going to get married.

The kingdom needed a Queen.

I pulled away from him and it felt like the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I shook my head trying to clear my mind. Arthur didn't seem upset when I left his side, but he was probably feeling pretty confident in my feelings for him. He was betting on me not running away.

"What are we to do?" I asked, reaching up to rub my temples.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I can't be Queen. Dawn's reputation will be ruined! We don't have a home to go to, and we can't stay here. This union was our last chance." I sighed, leaning against the wall.

He stared at me, crossing his arms over his broad chest. He didn't say anything and I looked up at him, raising my brow.

"Well?" I asked.

"Are you done?"

I rolled my eyes, turning away from him, and said, "I'm serious, Arthur!"

He moved up next to me, his hip warm against my side. I turned to face him, and he twirled a strand of my hair around his finger.

"Do you really think I would kick you out, just like that?" He asked, his tone dry, "You're not going anywhere. I'm not letting you leave me ever again."

I turned to face him straight on, and he did the same, his stomach brushing mine. I was caught up in the moment. I never wanted to leave his side. I never wanted to let him leave my side.

He pulled me into his body, tucking my head under neath his chin. I breathed deeply, surrounded by his scent. I fisted his shirt in my hands, unwilling to let myself hug him when I knew this was only temporary.

It wouldn't work, no matter what we tried.

But, in that moment, it was obvious that neither one of us cared. We were in love and he wasn't married to Faye.

I tensed up at the thought of her. I was the woman her groom had left her for. She must hate me right now. I was the reason why she was practically homeless, without a husband, and not a Queen. I was the reason her entire life was changing.

I needed to go talk to her, and soon.

Arthur seemed to sense my mood and pulled away to look at me. I couldn't help but marvel at his beauty. His blond hair glowed in the sun, and his eyes reminded me of the sky in the height of summer.

"This won't work." I said again, shaking my head. I tried to pull away, but he tightened his hold around my waist.

"It will." He argued.

"It am not a Queen and I don't pretend to be."

""You are a Queen to me and I have never known a finer one."

He wrapped his hand around my neck, tilting my head up. I looked down at his lips, biting my own. His blue eyes darkened with an unknown emotion and I could feel a shiver run up his spine.

"The people won't like having a servent to rule them." I protested, my voice weak and breathless.

"They will come to love you, as I do."

He leaned closer, his lips brushing mine. I took in a shuddering breath, my eyelashes fluttering. He moved and kissed the corner of my lips.

"Fayelinn..."

Arthur kissed the tip of my nose, dragging his lips closer and closer to mine.

"Fayelinn will be pleased that you are happy." He whispered.

My eyes fluttered shut, and he tilted my head again to give himself better access.

"I will--"

He cut my protest off by pressing his lips against mine.