Chapter Forty-four

I raced through the halls, my heart pumping and my ruined dress flowing around me. The clashes of the battle could be heard from inside the castle.

I picked up my pace, urging my legs to go faster. The sooner we won the battle, the less losses we would suffer. The bandits had been smart. Despite all the preparations that had been made, the city had still been distracted enough to be considered an easy target.

Finally I reached the throne room, and burst in through the doors. What I saw was pure chaos. The advisors were huddled around the table and yelling at each other. A couple of them even looked as if they were about to physically fight someone. Servents were running everywhere, doing their best to help the wounded who were lying strewn around the room. The higher ranked knights were only adding to the chaos by arguing with the advisors.

It really showed how dependent Camelot was on Arthur. They needed him.

I felt my anger build as I continued to watch the scene unfold. They were sitting around arguing while more people died every second. Their own king was laying in a bed, dying, and all they could do was fight over which map would best show the city.

Finally, I snapped.

"Everyone, shut the hell up!" I yelled, my voice echoing through the room.

Everyone turned to look at me, more stunned than anything. They hadn't expected someone to yell at them, let alone a small servent girl in a ruined dress.

I glared at all of them and marched up to the table.

"What exactly do you think arguing with each other will achieve?" I demanded, "Your people are dying! We need to do what is best for them, not do whatever you would prefer."

"Who do you think you are?" An elderly advisor asked.

I sent him a glare that quickly made him fall silent. I saw Merlin appear in the corner of my eye, looking impressed. He watched silently as I took charge.

I reached out and grabbed a map that showed the entire city. I rolled it out and weighted down the corners. Then, I turned to Leon, who had been at the table.

"Where are the enemy forces?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

He gave me a look, but didn't argue with me, as he reached out and put small figurines wherever he had noticed the enemy being. He looked tired and I could tell he had been out fighting.

I assessed the map when he was done. The enemies had surrounded the castle, obviously preparing to invade the building, but the majority of the forces was directly in front, in the lower parts of the city.

"What kind of troops do we have available?" I asked.

I could tell they were confused at my presence. They seemed hesitant to listen to whatever I had to say, but I slammed my fist down on the table, causing all eyes to snap to me.

"I need to know what troops we have!" I snapped.

"And why should we tell you anything?" Someone asked. It was the same advisor from before who had challenged me.

"What's your name?" I asked.

He grew even more confused, but said, "Raoulin."

"Well, Raoulin, what do you know about the battle strategies of Deira?" I asked with mock patience.

His fazed screwed up in concentration, and didn't answer. He didn't know anything about the battle strategies, but didn't want to admit it.

"That's right. You know nothing." I said, "But I do. I know the exact methods we need to execute if we are to win. The bandits will not expect Deira's strategies in Camelot. So, maybe if you deflate your ego a little bit, you'll be able to learn something. So shut up and let me talk."

He fell silent and dropped his eyes, thoroughly admonished. I looked around the table for anyone else who might challenge me, but no one did. I nodded and started pointing out ways we could take the enemy by surprise.

"These are brilliant!" An advisor muttered.

I pretended not to hear, but I couldn't help the small smirk that grew on my face. When I was done talking, everyone stood around looking at me.

"Well, what are you all waiting for?" I asked, "Get to work!"

They all hurried to put the plans into motion, papers flying to the ground in their haste. I looked around the room, my hands on my hips.

"I want the injured out of here!" I shouted over the noise, "Start a medic station in the great hall! Gather all the clean towels you can get and start boiling some water! These people are going to need it!"

People jumped to listen to me, helping the injured up and out to the great hall, where they could be better taken care of. I saw Gwen rush by, but I called her name to stop her.

"You have a basic understanding of healing herbs, right?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. She nodded. "Great! I need you to help out in the great hall, then. Help as many people as you can, but do not go into detail with them. Make sure they will live and then move on."

"What of Gaius?" She asked, her brow furrowing.

"Gaius has his hands full." I murmured, "Can you do this task?"

She nodded and I smiled, before saying, "Then get to it. Take whoever you need to help you, with the exception of Merlin."

She looked like she wanted to protest, but bit back whatever she was going to say and hurried away. I looked around the room once again, looking for Merlin. I called his name when I finally caught sight of the young sorcerer.

He came over cautiously, his face wary. He seemed to recognize the fact that I was on a power trip at the moment and was worried I'd yell at him or something of that sort.

"I need you to use your magic." I told him, lowering my voice. "We need you on our side to win this. We do not stand a chance as it is now. We will have the element of surprise, and it will take out a substantial amount of their numbers, but it will not be enough."

"I cannot!" Merlin protested, his eyes wide, "Do you know what would happen if I am revealed as a sorcer!"

"None of that matters if there is no Camelot in the end!" I snapped, "If you are worried about being seen, then age yourself. I know you can with your magic. However, we need your magic in order to win."

"Dawn--"

"I am not taking no for an answer." I interrupted.

He sighed and nodded, finally relenting to my wishes. He raced away and I couldn't help but feel guilty as I watched him go. I know I had been pretty harsh on everyone as soon as I entered the throne room, but we needed to get things done. There was no time to be polite.

I relaxed a little knowing things were now being taken care of. We had a chance of winning the battle with Merlin on our side and everyone was finally unionized.

I guess Faye was right. Maybe I was meant to rule these people.

I shook my head, trying not to get ahead of myself. I needed to take baby steps. I sighed and started walking out of the throne room.

I needed to see Arthur.

It seemed to take centuries, but I soon reached Gaius's. I burst into the room my eyes immediately searching the area. Gaius's face was grim and a lump grew in my throat, dread pooling in my stomach.

I could tell something was extremely wrong and I moved past him to look at Arthur. I gasped, my fears confirmed.

Arthur had gotten worse, and seemed to be minutes away from dying.