Chapter Thirty-six

He didn't notice me at first, but I sure as hell noticed him.

And all it took was one glance at his face to know I was still absolutely in love with him.

He had his eyes focused on the floor as he walked in our direction. He looked just as stressed and busy as he had been described, and I couldn't help the small pain that went through my heart.

I ducked my head, but managed to keep my eyes on him. The closer we got, the more aware of him I became; every breath he took, every move he made.

Finally he looked up. He caught sight of Faye and his face lit up immediately into a smile. He looked like he...loved her.

My heart shattered into a million pieces.

What had changed during the months I was away?

He opened his mouth to greet her, but then his eyes flitted over to me and his words became choked up in his throat. All three of us stopped when we were about five feet away.

His eyes never left me as he looked me over. I couldn't help but shiver underneath his gaze. Even if he loved her now, I was still just as affected by him as I ever was.

"Darling!" Fayelinn exclaimed, reaching her hand out to rest on his arm. "I was just coming to see you!"

Arthur shook himself out of the daze he was in and looked away from me to smile at her. While a little more strained, this smile seemed just as sincere as the last one.

"As was I coming to find you." He said, his voice velvet.

I clasped my hands together behind my back, determined to not reveal any of my emotions during this encounter. I would not be the reason they don't get married.

"Dawn has returned to us!" Faye continued, waving her hand vaguely in my direction.

I stepped up, bowed low, and said, "My king."

There was so much tension as he turned his eyes to acknowledge me, but Fayelinn seemed oblivious. She grinned brightly, her face practically glowing. If I hadn't seen her mourning over her impending wedding just minutes ago, I would have believed she loved him.

"Isn't this just lovely?!" She exclaimed, "She has made it back in time for the wedding! Which is such a relief. Gwenivere is a sweetheart, but she cannot keep up with me if her life depended on it!"

"Then it must be a good thing Dawn has returned." He replied, his eyes searching my face.

"That's what I just said!" Faye admonished, "Don't you listen to me ever?" -- she sighed -- "Is this what I have to look forward to as your wife?"

Arthur turned to her again, trying his best not to be distracted by my presence. Even if he loved her now, my sudden arrival would have surely thrown him off -- especially after the rough goodbye we had shared.

"Of course not, my dear." He told her, searching her face to see if she was being serious. When she started giggling, he relaxed.

"I know, I know! I was only jesting!" She teased, "My, your mind is somewhere else today. What would your father say if he were here?"

Only I noticed Arthur's wince at that. King Uther may had been difficult and challenging, but nobody could deny that Arthur had loved him.

"Dawn and I were just discussing the wedding, actually." Faye told him, "It felt good to confide in someone other than those who tell me anything I want to hear to appease me. Dawn challenges me!"

"Actually, the wedding was one of the reasons I have come to find you." Arthur told her, "We need to discuss some of the arrangements."

Hearing him speak in such a way was too much for me. I had tried to do my best to be supportive, but I couldn't stand around and help the man I love plan his marriage to another woman.

"Excuse me." I said, bowing, "But I must get back to work."

Faye nodded absently, all of her attention focused on the man in front of her. I saw her hand move up his arm and had to look away, jealousy rearing its ugly head.

I brushed past the couple, starting to make my way down the hallway. I tried to think of all the supplies I would need to gather around in order to clean Fayelinn's room in order to distract myself, but Arthur's voice had me halting in my tracks.

"Dawn?" He called after me.

"Yes, sire?" I asked, refusing to turn around. I couldn't bear to look at him in that moment. I couldn't decide if I was angry at him for moving on so quickly, or relieved.

"May I speak to you privately?" He asked.

I couldn't decipher the tone of his voice.

"I'm sorry, sire, but I will have no time. There is so much work to catch up on now that I have returned." I said, not completely lying to him, "I need to hurry up and get back into the routine of things, and unfortunately, that does not include private conversations with the king."

I fell silent, stunned at my insolence. I had just refused to speak with the king of Camelot and indirectly called him a waste of my time.

"Dawn--"

"Oh, let her go." Faye interrupted him, "It makes her happy."

I waited. I was thankful to Faye for interjecting. I wasn't sure how this encounter would turn out if I had been forced to hold a private conversation with him.

He probably only wanted to tell me that he had moved on and it was in my best interest to do so as well.

"Very well." Arthur finally sighed, "You may continue on your way."

"Thank you, sire." I murmured only loud enough for him to hear.

Then I was walking down the hallway again. When I looked over my shoulder to see him one more time, he was looking back as well.