02

The next morning, Beau woke up with the strange feeling that something was wrong.

It was a deep rooted feeling that took place in his bones; and it made Beau lay amongst his blankets for a few minutes longer than he would've on a regular day.

Downstairs, he could hear Bella already walking around. With a glance to the clock, Beau noted that Charlie would be at work for the rest of the day.

The ceiling in Beau's room was a soft white color, with a few dust webs hanging in the corners that didn't seem to get enough cleaning. Beau stared at the ceiling for so long he started to see shapes.

"I need coffee," Beau muttered to himself, sitting up in bed.

Instantly the weight he'd felt once he'd opened his eyes planted itself onto his shoulders. It was so unsettling, Beau was tempted to call his mom back in Phoenix to see if she was alright. It felt like something was wrong, like a sick feeling you get right before something bad happens. It was a feeling he hadn't felt in a long time.

Pushing the blankets from his legs, Beau winced as his toes hit the cold ground of his bedroom. No matter what, even with the heat up and the windows closed, his bedroom never ceased to be chilly.

Moving towards his closet, Beau grabbed the letterman jacket that was hanging amongst his other thick coats. Today was his game against the Panthers; and always on those days, he and the other boys were required to wear their letterman jackets for the day.

Placing a grey Henley underneath the thick jacket, Beau walked to his dresser. Above his dresser, the mirror revealed his frazzled expression. His hair was sticking up in many directions, from his restless and dreamless sleep. His pupils were dilated, the black almost swallowing the hazel from view.

Pulling open his dresser drawers, he grabbed the first pair of jeans that he could find, suddenly disturbed by the boy he'd saw in his mirror. Bending down slightly to the last drawer, Beau grabbed a pair of shorts for after the game.

His backpack was lounging lazily against the wall beside his door, and Beau scooped it up to throw his shorts inside of it; deciding at the last minute that he could re-wear his Henley after the game if he took a shower afterwards.

Slinging one strap over his shoulder, Beau opened his door with one hand as he stepped into his jeans one leg at a time. His body was too lanky for these kind of movements so early in the morning; especially for how tired and uncomfortable he was feeling since he'd awoken.

Moving down the stairs while buttoning his jeans, Beau found Bella in the kitchen. His sister had her back to him, her right arm in a soft sling. She was making herself a small lunch, and Beau had no doubt that she was making him one as well.

"Morning," Beau said in greeting, but it came out flat.

"Morning," Bella repeated, looking over her shoulder to smile at him.

Beau opened the fridge, pulling out a carton of orange juice before leaning over Bella slightly to grab a glass from the cabinets. After he was down doing so, he placed the carton back into the fridge and popped himself up onto the counter.

"Did you sleep well?" Bella asked, finishing her lunch and awkwardly packing it with one hand.

"For the most part," He replied, moving to help Bella place in her sandwich correctly after she'd been struggling for the last three minutes. "How about I make my lunch?"

"I can-"

"I got it. Go watch the news or something." Beau said, waving his sister out of the kitchen as he grabbed the lunch meat from the fridge along with other condiments.