06

"Those boys are dangerous,"

Beau Swan looked up from where his gaze had rested on the yellow eggs on his plate. Charlie was staring at him, while Bella shifted uncomfortably in her seat on Beau's left.

"So I've heard." He replied, no longer hungry.

Beau wandered his eyes around the small diner Charlie had dragged him and Bella to; and wondered if there was anything to distract him from having this conversation with his dad.

Ever since Beau had came home at midnight last night with glassy eyes and a bright smile, his father had been worrying. Instead of being happy the Beau was getting out of the house, his father was now worried that he was going outside of the house too much. That Beau was hanging out with what he and Bella deemed "The Wrong Crowd".

"If you heard this already, then why are you still hanging out with them?" Charlie asked, seeming generally confused. "This isn't like you, Beau."

"I don't care," Beau replied back, sitting backwards in his seat and trying to keep his voice level underneath control. Charlie and Bella remained silent and stunned, trying to decipher what Beau had meant just then.

"What do you mean that you don't care?" Charlie replied slowly.

"I mean that I don't care what you think of my friends," Beau said, giving his father a mocking smile. "You simply haven't hung out with them at all to know what they're like. You're going off rumors and Bella's big mouth-"

"Oh hold on now," Charlie snapped, angry now. "Don't go bad mouthing your sister. She's just worried about you, just like I am."

"I don't need anyone worrying about me," Beau replied flatly. "Why can't you both just trust me to make the right decision? I've done nothing but play it safe for nineteen years. When you finally have to put me in handcuffs for something I did because I hung out with Sam and the others, then you can give me this lesson."

"It's not a lesson-"

"You're right. It's not a lesson, it's an attack," Beau snapped, cutting off Charlie. He glances down at his plate, shoving it slightly away from himself. "I'm finished. Can we go now?"

"Go where?" Charlie asks, looking over at Bella.

"I'm going to the movies with Jacob, and Beau wanted me to drop him off at Sam's house since it's on the way there," Bella replied, pushing slightly on Beau's arm to make him scoot out of their booth so they can leave.

"Alright," Charlie says, still sitting down. "I'll finish up here. Both you of be careful. I won't be home until late tonight."

"Okay dad," Bella replied for herself and Beau, as Beau ignored his father and left the diner. Bella was a few moments after him, unlocking her truck with her keys. Beau slid into the passenger seat of her truck and waited for Bella to get in and start the engine before opening his mouth.

"You had no right to tell him," He snapped, watching as Bella sighed.

"I was worried," Bella stated, pulling away from the diner. "There's a lot of rumors going around-"

"Rumors," Beau pushed, "Rumors aren't always true. In fact, they're made up most of the time. Please, just trust me to make my own decisions."

Nodding her head, Bella replied, "I understand. Sorry, I just don't want something bad to happen,"

"Those days are over Bella," Beau replied, giving his sister's arm a gentle pat. "Now, tell me what movie you're going to see with Jacob."

"Well, it's kind of a double date thing," Bella said, licking her lips nervous.