18

Beau shivered softly in the tent, his legs uncomfortably pressed against his chest as he tried to conserve his heat. Bella was beside him, their shoulders pressed together as they waited.

Edward was sitting across the tent, staring intently at Bella's shaking frame. Beside Edward, was Rosalie. Her face was stone hard, golden eyes vacant of any emotion. If he didn't know any better, Beau would say she didn't want to be here, in the tent with him; but everytime he shivered, her eyes would flash up to see if he was okay before going hollow again.

Outside of the tent, Seth Clearwater was restlessly waiting. Soft whimpers were leaving his throat, and every few seconds they'd get higher in pitch. Beau tried to pretend he didn't know that a war was going on below the mountain.

"It's going to be fine." Edward promised, "We've got skill, training, and surprise on our side. It will be over very soon. If I didn't truly believe that, Rosalie and I would be down there now and you'd both be here, chained to a tree or something along those lines."

"Alice is so small," Bella moaned, and Beau nodded in agreement.

Edward chuckled, "That might be a problem . . . if it were possible for someone to catch her,"

Seth started to whimper again. A high reedy sound that made Beau's throat tighten.

"What's wrong?" Beau demanded, earning a silent glance from Rosalie. Who was providing nothing from her blank expression.

"He's just angry that he's stuck here with us. He knows the pack kept him out of the action to protect him. He's salivating to join them," Edward replied to her.

"The newborns have reached the end of the trail. It worked like a charm. Jasper's a genius, and they've caught the scent of the ones in the meadow, so they're splitting into two groups now, as Alice said," Edward murmured, his eyes focused on something far away. "Sam's taking them around to head off the ambush party."

Beau's heart jumped at the mention of the pack. His throat tightened impossibly tighter and he felt his lungs flutter, begging him to breath again.

"Breathe," Edward said, voice as hard as stone. "Passing out won't help anyone."

"It'll help the time go by faster," Beau retorted, earning him a scowl from Edward in reply.

It was so soundless, that Beau could hear Seth's heavy panting just outside the tent wall, which wasn't helping Beau's panic in the slightest. Despite seeing his fidgety state, Rosalie did nothing to comfort him. Beau did his best to reason out her odd behavior as a factor of her not wanting him to be more cold by trying to comfort him, but his mind reminded him that Rosalie had been acting cold and distant all morning.

"The first group is in the clearing. We can hear the fighting," Edward stated.

Edward laughed once, "We can hear Emmett. He's enjoying himself."

Beau managed to roll his eyes, picturing with ease just how much Emmett would be enjoying himself. The burly vampire always did enjoy a good fight. Beau looked at Rosalie, trying to see if the blonde thought the mention of her best friend enjoying himself was funny as well; but Rosalie was looking at the zipper of the tent, her eyes far away.

"The second group is getting ready. They aren't paying attention, they haven't heard us yet." After this sentence, Edward suddenly growled.

"What?" Bella gasped.

"They're talking about you." Edward's teeth clenched together. "They're supposed to make sure you don't escape. . . . Nice move, Leah! Mmm, she's quite fast," he murmured in approval. "One of the newborns caught our scent, and Leah took him down before he could even turn. Sam's helping her finish him off. Paul and Jacob got another one, but the others are on the defensive now. They have no idea what to make of us. Both sides are feinting. . . . No, let Sam lead. Stay out of the way. Separate them - don't let them protect each other's backs."