09

Beau shifted in his place beside Bella.

His eyes trying to remain on anything but the gorgeous pale faces around him. His hands were shoved inside of his pockets, coiled tightly into fists as Felix shoved him forwards in order to get him to follow both Edward and Alice through the dark hole in the floor.

He'd imagined what the Volterra would look like on the plane ride over, but he hadn't imagined the dark tunnels in his imagination. He didn't imagine how cold it'd be, with both crimson and gold eyes watching his every move. With watching their nostrils flare every time he nervously scratched his neck and shook his bangs out of his eyes.

Alice was a silent statue beside him, leading him as Edward did the same to Bella. It was unspoken between the two of them that Alice would be looking out for him. Beau appreciated it in a way that he wouldn't ever be able to repay Alice back for.

When they finished with the tunnel, they emerged into a bright room. It was covered in marble, with red accents. In three chairs, sat three beautiful gargoyles of men.

Beau sucked in a breath, closing his eyes for a moment, and tried to remember what had led up to this moment. The moment he was sure was going to be his last memory.

"What's wrong?" Bella's voice is filled with panic as she stared at Alice.

The vampire was sitting on their couch, her head in her hands as if what she was seeing was taking the energy right out her. Beau supposed that if Jasper were here, he'd be the one to be comforting Alice through her visions. Since Jasper's wasn't here, no one, not even himself, was willing to give Alice any form of comfort.

It'd been  a few hours since Alice had made a reappearance back into their lives, and Beau had yet to warm up to her. Bella had accepted her immediately, which was no surprise.

Beau had suspected as much. Which was why he hated Alice even more. The vampire was just tearing open new wounds that either Beau or Charlie would have to stitch closed again when Alice eventually left without a word again.

"Alice, what's wrong? What are you seeing?" Bella asked again, brown eyes wide with worry for her immortal best friend.

"Edward," Alice said softly, mostly to herself.

"What about him?" Bella hissed, face going pale.

It was then that Bella began to sway at an awkward angle, making Beau stiffen in his spot in the doorway. He was ready to catch Bella if she were to topple over, he'd been doing it a lot recently over the last few months.

"Bella, Bella, snap out of it. We need to hurry," Alice said, getting up from the couch and recovering from her winded state she'd been in only a few minutes ago. She moved towards Beau's sister, pressing a chilly hand against Bella's shoulder.

"What's wrong?" Bell asked, voice border lining on broken. It was a voice she always used after someone mentioned Edward's name to her.

"I don't know!" Alice wailed in frustration, her wind chime voice high pitched in her confusion and exasperation. She then tapped her fingers to her temple and said, "What is he thinking?"

In a second, Alice moved to grab her purse. Her white hand struck in and out of it, carrying a small phone as she did so. She dialed quickly, before pressing the phone to ear. She waited a second before the person on the other end answered.

"Rose I need to talk to Carlisle now," Alice said, and Beau's entire body tightened uncomfortably at the thought of Rosalie being only a breath away through Alice's phone. Alice side-eyed his reaction but said nothing. "Fine, as soon as he's back. No, I'll be on a plane. Look, have you heard anything from Edward?"