Hopeless - 09

"And Neil Jacobsen shoots!" Thompson yelled out as Neil made the ball into the net. We all laughed as Thompson tried to impersonate a sportscaster. We have been playing for more than two hours now, mostly having playful competitions against each other. Neil was a fun person to hang with and I wished that we hung out earlier. He wasn't a regular jock that most people think, in fact, he was so much more. 

It seemed that Neil just needed to hang out with the right people, and I was hoping that that would be us. We all laid down on Thompson's family's basketball court as we tried to rest from an exhausting but fun basketball game.

"That was amazing!" Neil exclaimed excitedly as he tried to wipe off the sweat on his forehead. "I never had that much fun since last year's prom."

"That long, huh?" We all laughed.

"Well, I did mention that I don't get invited as much," Neil shrugged as he drank some water, breathless.

"You don't seem like that type of guy," I pointed out, taking a swig of water as well. "You're like one of the most down-to-earth people I know, along with my best friend Acacia. And you seem chill. You're fun to hang out with."

"Maybe," he shrugged again. "You guys are fun people to hang out with, you guys should come to the party I'm throwing this Friday."

"We won't miss it," I nodded at him, though going to the party was the last thing I thought of. We initially wanted to get to the party, but now that I think about it, I'd want him as a real friend. "But if you don't get invited, why are you throwing parties and inviting people you barely hang out with?" I suddenly asked.

Neil let out a sardonic laugh, shrugging as he did so. "I just want people to have some fun, you know?"

"Sure, but why bother?"

Neil sat up, his cheeks turning red. Sighing, he gave both Thompson and me a serious look. "Okay, this might sound stupid, but the truth is," he let out a nervous breath. "I've been trying to make this girl notice me."

Thompson and I sat up with a big grin on our faces. "Who?" Thompson asked eagerly. "Is it someone we know?"

"It's...," his cheeks started getting redder. "Actually, I don't want to say who it is," he shook his head.

"No, come on, we won't tell," I encouraged him, suddenly intrigued.

"You guys know her," Neil suddenly got shy. Thompson and I started naming some cheerleaders we knew, or any popular girls. We kept asking him to tell us, but he immediately reject the idea.

"Can you give us a hint?" I asked, suddenly restless.

He sighed, "she's pretty," he said.

"Don't tell me it's Heather," Thompson suggested. My heart suddenly stopped.

"Her, no, she's not my type," Neil shrugged. "I don't think anyone likes her, really." I frowned, a little disappointed that my new friend doesn't appreciate her either. 

"Give us another hint!" Thompson said desperately.

Neil's face scrunched up, maybe regretting what he is about to say. "She's in your friend group."

"It can't be Jenny because she's taken," Thompson said, and Neil shook his head for confirmation. "Acacia?"

I started to get defensive, my heart dropping to my stomach, suddenly protective of my best friend. I treated Acacia like my younger sister, so thinking of her having a boyfriend didn't settle well. Fortunately, Neil shook his head.