Hopeless - 30

I felt bad for my mom as she frowned at me when I walked away from her. In a way, I was disappointed, too, as I wanted to spend some time with my family before I head back to college. However, my parents were always supportive, knowing how much I needed to be alone for a while. Besides, I decided that I'll try and get my Master's degree before entering Henry's company. That required me at least two more years of studying, but that was enough for me to truly come in terms with Acacia.

We haven't talked since. I guess we both had a mutual and unspoken agreement to not think about each other. Besides, she was getting her degree in architecture, we should be working on that rather than thinking about each other's feelings.

Though, I was still disappointed. I knew we had to talk, but we still haven't agreed on where we stand. Instead, we have to focus on our careers. Someday, maybe, we'll actually work it out. For now, we have to pause and think about what we really want.

"You sure you'll be okay?" My mother asked me before I grabbed my luggages out of the car.

"I'll be fine," I gave her a sheepish smile. "Just keep delivering me those cookies and I'll be fine."

"If you need anything, just call us, all right?" My dad clamped a hand on my shoulder. "Actually, keep calling us. Your mother will cry if you don't."

"I will," I laughed and nodded before saying goodbye.

---

Once I came home, or rather our shared apartment, Jace gave me a disappointed look. I knew how much he wanted me to be with Acacia, but we both knew that now was not the right time. I am just as disappointed as him, but we knew better.

Though, we were all surprised to know that Jace is seeing someone, for real this time. It was not just a hook up, but rather a real relationship. Logan and Patrick glared at him with jealousy as they did not find anyone to entertain.

"Man, I really thought you and that girl will finally be together," Logan shrugged as he propped his feet on the coffee table. "What's her name?  Acacia?"

"What about you? I thought you were going to find your summer romance?" I asked in a teasing tone. He glared at me before flipping me off. "Whatever, I have to unpack my clothes," I announced as went up the stairs, towards my room.

The doorbell rang. "Go get it, Logan," I heard Patrick shout, following with a groan from Logan. I could hear shuffling, then heavy footsteps towards the door. There was silence around the house, which confused me. They were always loud whenever there was a visitor.

"Who's at the door?" I shouted.

"Garett, there's a really cute girl on our doorstep!" Jace shouted back. I rolled my eyes. Habits really do die hard with Jace. No girl will stop him from ogling women. 

I groaned before going down the stairs. The door was blocked by my friends, hovering over the new visitor. They were just staring, not even inviting the person inside. How rude, I thought, as I pushed their bodies out of the way.

"Who is it?" I asked in irritation. I was having a headache after a six hour flight. I really needed some sleep and I don't really want to entertain anybody at the moment.

Instead, my breath hitched as I saw Acacia on our doorstep, a luggage beside her, and a designer bag on her arm as she looked up at me. My eyes widened as I looked at her. It was such a surprise to see her. But here she was, wearing no make up and wearing simple jeans with a simple top with her hair in a ponytail. Like what Logan said, she was cute, as if she was back in high school all over again.

"I thought you went back to London?" I asked with a confused tone, yet happy that I was able to see her one more time.

"I wanted to see you first," she answered, she smiled meekly before frowning again. "Can we talk?"