Hopeless - Bonus 1

Anne & Parker: College

Anne couldn't concentrate. Despite that there were books on her table and on her laps, her phone placed behind her where she couldn't get easily distracted, and with no music playing, the rule numbers couldn't quite get into Anne's head. After not getting any response from Parker the whole day, Anne couldn't help but fidget.

It wasn't always like this–– Anne was never a clingy girlfriend. She knew the importance of staying away when his friends are over or when studying is more important than ever that social interaction wasn't much of a priority. However, Anne absolutely knew this–– she loves Parker.

They haven't seen each other the whole day, considering that they share an apartment. He leaves very early in the morning, and comes home very late every night. She was noticing how little they were communicating, spending less time together. It was okay having some space, but it was as if they weren't a couple. In fact, she felt like they were just roommates instead of lovers.

The clock read two o'clock in the morning. Anne sighed, gulping her third cup of coffee. She was glad that she didn't have any classes in the morning or she wouldn't wake up. She was considerably tired, but she always wanted to make sure Parker was home before she falls asleep. When almost fifteen minutes passed by, she closed the book she was reading and placed her cup in the sink. Just as she turned the lights off, she could hear the door being opened, assuming it was Parker. Going back to the living space, she watched as he opened the door, looking disheveled and tired.

"Hey," Anne said timidly, hugging her arms. She grimaced as he gave her a small nod and took off his shoes. "Where have you been?"

"Just the office," Parker shrugged, his glasses in disarray. "You know how it is, my parents making me learn the ropes of their business. I couldn't refuse."

"Oh, okay," Anne smiled tightly. She knew how hard working her boyfriend was. "Next time, can you just text me? I was worried about you."

Parker looked at her silently before nodding. "I'll go change real quick."

Anne waited by the foot of their bed as Parker changed clothes, her hands sweating. As he changed, she watched him silently by the open bathroom door. Right by his ear, she could see a pink lip stick stain.

Anne doesn't wear pink lipsticks.

Anne felt like she was overthinking this. Maybe when his parents were introducing him to people, a woman's lipstick smudged on his cheek. Or maybe it was just his mom's lipstick when she gave him a kiss on the cheek. Maybe that was it. Anything was possible.

Maybe even cheating.

No, Anne shook her head. Parker wasn't capable of cheating. She knew him too well to know that he wouldn't do such a thing. She always thought the best of Parker, she loved him too well to think that he could cross her. It was just a lipstick stain, nothing much.

When Parker placed himself on the bed, the lipstick stain gone, she held his hand. He turned his head to look at Anne, a confused look on his face. "What is it?"

Anne gulped nervously before looking tentatively at him. "You love me, right?" She asked quietly. "You still love me, right?"

She watched as Parker sighed and placed his hands on her cheeks, kissing her forehead lightly. Anne didn't know if she should feel calm or scared by what he was going to say.

"Let's go to sleep," he said instead, turning to his side and switching off the lamp. Anne stayed still as Parker situated himself on the bed, a stiff look on her face. She looked at him for a few seconds before situating herself on the bed and covered body with a blanket, trying to stop the tears from falling. They usually face each other when they sleep, but nowadays they faced the opposite directions, not a part of their body touching.