Hopeless - 14

I gave Acacia a full grin as I saw her at the bleachers next to the coach. She gave me a small smile in return, the game plan set out on the table in front of her as the coach studied it. It was nice having Acacia back, seeming that it seemed like forever since I saw her.

Sadly, I was still not able to talk to her in public. Rumors seems to travel fast, so Acacia and I agreed to secretly hang out, where Heather wouldn't know about what we've been doing. We decided that we don't want Heather to get up on our case, as well as the fact that we do seem to be too close that people thought we were a couple. If I wanted to show Heather that I really am serious about pursuing her, I have to stay away from Acacia, or other girls for that matter.

But I was happy to see her today, even though we've been hanging out for the past couple of days. Without her everything seems to feel a little more lonely, I can't afford losing her, no matter what Heather says. And besides, we have our championship game tonight, I wouldn't be here without her.

"You and Acacia good?" Thompson asked as we ran around the court.

"We're good, we just can't be seen around Heather," I explained shortly.

Thompson whistled. "Still can't believe you're keeping up with her. You really don't think she's controlling you?"

I shook my head firmly, not wanting to discuss this any further. "Just keep running."

A few minutes later, Heather and the other cheerleaders came in, waving at me with the cute smile of hers. Just as she saw Acacia on the sidelines talking to the coach, her expression darkened, stopping me from my warm-up.

"What is she doing here?" Heather then asked angrily, pouting her lips and furrowing her eyebrows. "I thought you said you won't be seeing her."

"I'm not," I lied. "But she is the student coach."

"She's the student coach?" Loren exclaimed again. "Since when?"

"Since I started basketball?" I gave her a confused look, placing my hands on my hips. "She just doesn't want to be known as one, except tonight."

"Or maybe because she's in love with you that she always tries to be around you," Heather crossed her arms, looking annoyed.

"Acacia?" I raised a brow at her and scoffed. "She doesn't like me. We're best friends."

"Daniel, it's so obvious! She's head over heels for you. Don't you wonder why she's always around you? She's basically like your pet dog that follows you around!" She explained again. "I'm a girl, Daniel, I know when a girl likes a boy."

I gave Heather a hard expression, crossing my arms in front my chest. "Don't you dare criticize my best friend. If you don't want to go to prom with me, it's fine, I'll find another date."

Her eyes went wide. "You can't do that! You wanted to be my prom date, not the other way around!"

"Then stop talking trash about her. We both know that almost all the guys in school are taken, you have no choice left," I reminded her.

"Hey!" The coach then noticed that I wasn't practicing. "Lockhart, why are you holding up the captain?"

"Coach, I just needed to talk to him," she sneered at him.