SWEET BEGINNINGS

For weeks, Willy Wonka was hard at work again and felt it was best to avoid everyone in his factory. He could not imagine how furious the Buckets would be. They loved Miss Vicky and it must have been a betrayal to their trust as well. He was certain Charlie's respect for him disappeared. It broke his heart to think of it but he hoped his idea would make up for all his mistakes.

However, Charlie could only see that Willy Wonka was ignoring him and the family. He knew his former idol was capable of immaturity at times but never imagined him to resort to such childish and shameful behavior. The boy had several new ideas brewing, however, he did not bother to tell his own mentor. Perhaps he would find Miss Vicky and help her run a new factory.

However, Charlie noticed Miss Vicky's sales have dramatically plummeted. It was certain she had quit making her gum and candies all together. Perhaps she was too busy finding somewhere else to live and forgotten about him and his family for good. He visited her former workspace to find her machines were taken apart, her robots were shut down and her father's portrait gone. He only saw her hat and cane left behind. She had quit for good and was never to return.

The little boy frowned as he headed back to his cottage and could not think of any other way this time to make Mr. Wonka and Miss Vicky happy again. Everyday, without any sign of Willy Wonka, he decided to concentrate on school and instead of thinking about candy, he spent more time at the library to study and earning his own pocket money by shoe shining in the streets again. Living in the grand chocolate factory did not help cheer him up for it was an everyday reminder of how his own hero let him down and drove out a new friend.

It was almost supper time and on his way home from the library, Charlie could not help but notice activity storming beside the factory. He walked further and found a large wall that surrounded the area. It must have been occupying an endless amount of blocks away. He could only see that Mr. Wonka was back to expanding his factory yet again in reflection of his increasing success. The little boy rolled his eyes and concluded that his mentor would not change at all. He was certain that he did not have a heart after all and moved on, only thinking of himself.

Charlie thought he was a fool for looking up to someone like that. He went home and did not bother to greet his family as he walked straight to his room. He was much too upset to have supper and his mother could not help but notice her son's pain. She walked up to see him and saw that he ripped his Wonka Bar wrappers off his wall and threw them away.

"Charlie, what in the world are you doing?" Mrs. Bucket was worried. "Charlie, darling?"

"When I grow up, I'm going to put up my own factory and I'm never letting anyone in." Lastly, he took down that very wrapper he saved where he found the Golden Ticket.

"Charlie, stop this instant. Don't be ridiculous." She tried to comfort him but saw that her son was tearing up. "Sit down, Charlie. Tell me, what's wrong?"

"Mr. Wonka hasn't come once to see us in more than a month. Now he's too busy building more for his factory. He doesn't care about us, Mum. He was just using me like he used Miss Vicky."

"Oh, don't be silly." She hugged her son and kissed the top of his head. "You are the best thing that has ever happened to this factory! He could not have done so many things without you and look how happy you made him! He couldn't risk throwing away a great friend like you!"

Charlie fought back more tears. "I don't know what he's up to but I don't care anymore, Mum. We don't need him." It hurt him a great deal to say it. Mr. Wonka and Miss Vicky were the only friends he ever had. He crawled into bed, letting his tears fall freely.

The little boy's dream was crushed as he decided it was best to leave the factory. Despite his family's hope that things would get better, Charlie was determined to figure out a way to be on their own again. He worked diligently after school, hoping to save up to live somewhere else. He could not imagine himself and his family away from the great chocolate factory. However, he felt he no longer needed it. He was willing to not only shine shoes but also mow lawns, deliver newspapers and wash cars. He was sure enough to know that every little bit helped.