THE CANDY SHOP

Everyone remained determined to find Miss Vicky. However, everyday without news of her whereabouts seemed as if hope was diminishing. Mr. Wonka did not sleep or eat very much as he visited her old town everyday. Charlie was growing worried for him. He could not stand to see him so unhappy.

Charlie continued to attend school, work, and study, trying to take his mind off of everything. He walked home from school with his eyes focused on the ground. He constantly tried to think of more ways to track her down.

Suddenly, he glanced up and caught sight of the shop he used to stop by every week. He thought it was about time he visited again and maybe buy some candy like he used to. He walked into the store and greeted the shopkeeper. "Hello, Mr. James." He gave him a small grin.

"Charlie Bucket? Well, well, long time no see!" Mr. James smiled. "Where have you been?"

"The factory has been really busy..." Charlie did not want to have to explain the whole story as he looked at some of the candy displayed and to his surprise, spotted a particular box. "Mr. James, can I have four packs of Miss Vicky's BrightChews? For my mum."

Mr. James looked at him surprisingly. "You know, that supply is exactly the last box we will ever have. Here you go." He took the packs of gum and placed it on the counter.

Suddenly, the telephone rang and before he headed over to answer it, he approached a clerk who was rearranging the shelves. "Can you help that young man over there, please? I have to take this call." The clerk began ringing up the register.

Charlie reached into his pockets for money and counted. As he looked up, he noticed the clerk's familiar emerald eyes and raven hair. "Miss Vicky!" He exclaimed in excitement.

It was Vicky Adams herself. Only she did not look herself. Her eyes were not as lively and full of excitement as he remembered. Her once strawberry pink lips were pale. Her dark hair was pulled back into a tight bun and traded in her sharp looking attire for a white apron over a simple, beige blouse and skirt. He could see in her eyes that she was very unhappy. However, was he relieved he had found her not too far away. She had left everything behind working at the little shop.

"Hello Charlie." She did not bother to smile as she handed him the bag of what was once her brand of gum and turned around to continue rearranging the candies on the shelves. She was clearly avoiding the fact that Charlie had found her. He was almost lost for words. He did not know how to approach speaking to her after all this time.

He knew how hurt she still felt and how much she wanted to stay away from the subject but he had to speak with her. "Miss Vicky, we were looking everywhere for you."

"Have you? Well, I found my own place above this shop and Mr. James was kind enough to offer me a job." Miss Vicky sighed as she turned around. "But I'm really sorry for taking off like that, Charlie. I just couldn't face anyone anymore. It was time for me to handle things by myself."

"You no longer have to. Can we talk please, Miss Vicky?" Charlie pleaded with that angelic face again. She shrugged and followed him outside the shop.

As they sat on a bench, Charlie grinned hopefully at her. "You have to come back. We really miss you... Mr. Wonka misses you."

Miss Vicky gave a mock of laughter. "Really? More like misses my ideas, that is."

Charlie sighed. "Miss Vicky, he really loves you and he feels awful about what he's done. I know you still love him too..."

"Don't be silly, Charlie. He can never love anyone. I was crazy to think I was capable of it as well. It was all just a trick..."

"That's not true. It's like chocolate. You can't resist it. Then you avoid it for a long time when something wrong happens but deep down, you really love it... you've always loved it."