Chapter Nine:

Previously on His Last Hope:

Rebekah took the jacket from Hope and sniffed it. She looked at Klaus, visibly shaken.

"What?" Hayley asked, catching on.

"This jacket is practically doused in petrol mixed with wolfsbane and witch hazel."

Hope paled.

"Why couldn't I smell wolfsbane and witch hazel? She said she injected me with it. Not doused."

"Does that matter?" Hayley shrieked; she started to panic. "That mad woman wants to hurt you!"

"Hurt?" Kol spoke, "try kill."

"Mum, calm down," Hope said calmly, "She's just playing games with us. What's the worst that can happen? A few burns?"

"It wasn't made to hurt you," Elijah spoke in a low voice, "it was supposed to kill you."

******

Chapter Nine:

Hope was standing on the balcony of the apartment that she lived in as an infant. Her hands resting on the rails, she was thinking.

What was Aurora's purpose of doing this to me?

Hope could not figure it out.

Maybe she wants Dad back and saw that as the only way.

That can't be it. Whatever Aurora wanted, she took. She did not resort to pettiness.

Hope chuckled quietly. Who am I kidding? Aurora is the queen of pettiness.

"Don't you dare!"

Hope's attention was caught and she listened to her family in their courtyard. Her mother was livid while Rebekah tried to keep her calm.

"Hayley, Freya is on her way back. She can do something to slow down the poison in Hope's body."

Hayley was staring at Klaus.

"She's your crazy ex, Klaus! Why would she do this? I thought she was dead and her damn brother was rotting at the bottom of the ocean!"

Klaus gritted his teeth.

"Hayley, you've known me all these years and you think those I kill get to be roaming around?"

Hayley inhaled as she walked towards Klaus.

"Please, she's our little girl. We need to do something." 

"We will." Klaus murmured.

"Please, this isn't helping anyone, least of all, it doesn't help Hope. Please understand."

Hayley nodded, looking at Rebekah.

Upstairs, Hope exhaled quietly. She felt someone behind her and closed her eyes when Aiden wrapped his arms around her waist behind her.

"Hey, baby," Aiden murmured into Hope's shoulder.

"Hi." Hope whispered.

"You're gonna be okay, you know that, don't you?"

"Hm." Hope murmured.

"You will. Your family will make sure of that, baby."

Hope nodded and leaned against Aiden.

"I'm just scared..." Hope whispered.

"So am I..." Aiden murmured. "No." He said in a stronger voice. "No. I'm not scared. There is no point being scared. Fear gets you nowhere. My father taught me that much."