Chapter Twelve:

Previously on His Last Hope:

"Uncle Kol?" Hope asked.

"Compelling him to forget? That's cruel, darling, even for me," Kol murmured as he cupped Hope's face. "But I'm still here for you." He too, sped off.

Her eyes pricking with more tears, Hope turned to face Elijah only to find that he was gone.

"God," Hope whispered as she sniffed. "What should I do?" Remembering the way her father looked at her with disappointment, she closed her eyes and sped out into the dark.

**********

Chapter Twelve:

Hope was staring into the bottom of her drink miserably. She was at a seedy little bar on the other side of New Orleans, waiting to meet an old acquaintance. She sighed as she realised her glass was empty.

"Emma, same again, please."

The barmaid complied, pouring a double shot of whiskey.

"Cheers," Hope murmured sarcastically as she threw back the amber liquid. It burned the back of her throat and she coughed before redeeming herself. How embarrassing. Her eyes watering, Hope looked around, hoping no one else saw that. The barmaid, Emma, made to pour another shot when Hope shook her head. "Gotta stay sober."

Emma smiled and walked away to serve another customer.

Hope exhaled as she reached for her phone. She scrolled through her contacts and sighed when she saw Aiden's name. Debating whether she should call him, Hope gritted her teeth.

"So, what brings you to this side of the city?"

Hope looked up to see a tall, well-dressed man.

"And that's your business because...?"

"I just asked a question. A nice girl like you...here?"

Hope beckoned the stranger closer.

"Lemme tell you a secret," Hope murmured in his ear, "I'm anything but nice,"

The man chuckled and looked around before he waved his hand across his face. He was transformed into a beautiful young woman.

"I knew it was you," Hope smirked.

"Sure you did, H,"

Hope smiled and sat back in her chair.

"What's up?"

"I screwed up, Luce."

"What's happened?"

At the Mikaelson Mansion, Hayley was sitting alone when Elijah joined her.

"Maybe I was too harsh on her?" Hayley murmured.

"Don't put yourself through this," Elijah said as he put his hands on either side of Hayley's face.

"What must she think, Elijah? We all pretty much turned our backs on her!"

"She knows we are here for her," Elijah murmured. "We all love her and we only want the best for her."

"But why can't she see that?" Hayley asked, frustrated. "She's my baby and I want to help her more than anything, but ugh...why is she so freaking stubborn?"

"Well," Elijah smiled, "she takes after her mother.

Hayley smiled.

"Not sure if that's a good thing,"