Be My Valentine <3 - Part 4C

(7 months earlier)

Jul 19th 2012

4:00 am

I was suddenly woken up by a call. I looked at the time. It was the middle of the night.

Who the hell could this be.?” I wondered as I attended the call.

Raj, I hope I am not disturbing you.” she said.

I instantly recognized her voice even though I was hearing it after such a long time. And it felt good. But soon, I became curious to know as to why she had suddenly remembered me and had decided to give me a call at this odd time.

No Sneha. You are not disturbing me at 4:00 am in the morning.” I said sleepily.

Oh, I am sorry. I’ll keep this as short as possible.” she was apologetic.

Sure. Go right ahead.” I said. I somehow felt that I would be better off not hearing what she had to say to me. But then it was also impossible for me to say ‘No’ to her.

I wanted you to be the first person to know this news. I somehow felt that I owed it to you after all that we have been through. I have found someone Raj. Someone special, someone who makes me really really happy.

I felt a lump in my throat. I didn’t say anything.

Raj. . . . .?” she said my name, and it felt so good.

With great difficulty, I said “Good. Good for you.

I wanted to cut the call. Luckily, she didn’t have anything else to say to me. She said “Once again, I am sorry for disturbing you Raj. Bye. Take care.

Yeah. Bye.” I said as I cut the call even before she did.

I slammed my cell on the table. Sneha had so easily finished saying what she wanted to. But now here I was, terribly disturbed after hearing the supposedly happy news that she had conveyed to me. And as expected, I didn’t get any sleep after that. I sat still on my bed, for what seemed like an eternity. Soon, tears started trickling down my face. And as always, I cursed myself, and my fate.

The next few days were like hell for me. I wasn’t able to concentrate on my work. I didn’t feel like eating. I basically stopped living. And I thought my life couldn’t get any wickeder than it was now. But I guess I was wrong – There was more to come.

Life can be cruel, and sometimes painful. But in my case, life could easily be associated with every negative adjective that one can think of – Bad, horrible, wicked, twisted, pathetic, etc., etc.

Over the next few months, I came to know that not only had Sneha fallen in love with someone other than me, but of all people, she had fallen in love with my brother. I mean what are the odds! She could have chosen any person in the world. Out of the billions of guys out there, why the hell did she have to pick my brother? If that wasn’t wicked and twisted and crazy and weird, then I don’t know what is. I hated my fate now, more than ever.

14th Feb 2013

7:30 am

                They completed the seven ceremonial rounds (saat phere) around the fire. Then he tied the sacred thread (mangalsutra) around her neck and applied vermilion (sindoor) on her forehead. I wanted to look away because it was too difficult for me to watch. My worst fears had come true and it was all finally happening - Sneha, she was finally going to be someone else’s wife.

I knew I would be better off being somewhere else. I got up. I turned around to leave.

                “Wait Raj.” I heard a voice.

                It was Sneha. I turned around.

                “How can you leave Raj.? This is the most important day of my life.” she said.

                I just silently and helplessly listened to her, not having the energy or the will to respond. Then, Ansh said “Yes brother, don’t leave so soon. I want you to see your wife become completely mine.

                I was shocked after hearing what he had said – How did he know.? Did Sneha tell him.?

                Ansh said “Sneha didn’t say anything to me bro. But you should have told me. I deserved to know.

                Before I could say anything in response, Sneha said “But Ansh, I was never meant to be with Raj. He is not worthy of me. It was always supposed to be you. I love you and you alone Ansh.

                Suddenly, everyone present in the marriage hall started laughing, at me, at my miserable fate.

                I felt humiliated and totally embarrassed.

                Sneha turned to face Ansh. She drew closer to him. Closer. . . . . Their lips were about to meet. I couldn’t watch them kiss. I tried to turn my head. But I couldn’t. Nooo. . . . .

I got up with a start. I looked around. I was in my bed. It was a dream. It was all a dream. I felt relieved. But then I realized that the day I was dreading had arrived. Pretty soon, Sneha was going to be someone else’s wife. She was going to have a new beginning. And everything was about to end for me.