Annihilation I

Stepping in through the window he had expected to see her on the couch or in the kitchen as he had countless times before. The room was darkened, soft light emanating from a tall antique lamp, music blaring through the speakers of her record player. The thumping beat of the Doors followed by the piercing wail of their singer. "Really?." He shook his head as if this gave away a small secret that belonged to her. He had seen her motorcycle parked in the alley so he knew she had to be here, but he couldn't find her in the tiny open space. Listening closely he heard her voice mindlessly singing softly along to the album. His gaze followed her slight sound which led to the corner of her apartment. It was shaded by a Chinese folding screen. Carefully he slipped over and peaked through the ornately decorated slots to the other side. He had never noticed before, but just beyond the screen littered with clothes strewn across its gleaming wood was her bathtub.

With her eyes closed she mumbled quietly the lyrics to 'Love Street', tapping her thin fingers on the porcelain basin. The water steamed around her light brown skin, her hair pulled back loosely, the edges of her dark curls slipping into the water. A leg was swung casually over the side of the claw foot tub and tapped out the beat as she sang. The heavy scent of cinnamon and vanilla wafted through the air, catching his memory. He could have watched her in this moment forever. Relaxed, totally self aware as she fell in tune with the music she was experiencing. There had always been a tinge of apprehension as he watched her without her knowledge, but these hidden instances he stole were always his favorite. Besides she was the one who kept leaving her window open, and eventually he had come to see it as an invitation.

Walking back over to her album collection he thumbed through quietly. She had mentioned after seeing the Revolution play at the First Avenue years ago she tried to absorb all that they had ever done, all that he had ever done. He wasn't sure if he would find it in her stacks of music, but as he got midway through the second row he found it. He pulled out his very first record, a demo really. His fingers smoothed over the worn cover. It was something he had done to get the attention of a label, any label. He was so young at the time, and of course it hadn't worked... at all, but he had been so hopeful. A sudden pain hit him as he looked at the words written over the stark blue cover. It was only four songs, but he felt so accomplished. Barely 20 he thought the world would be at his feet, he wanted, no needed to be a musician so badly.

In a blink of an eye though everything seemed lost. He now stood with his music empire crumbling around him. Everything he had worked so hard for lay in ruin. The Revolution's demise and the opportunity to go solo lingered, but his label never had faith in him alone. If he failed he would be back at square one. The only man that had ever truly believed in his talent, was Billy, and he was gone now too. His future was so uncertain, but this girl made him begin to believe  that maybe miracles can happen and sometimes it might be alright to fail as long as you are true to yourself, and your art.

Placing his record on the timer, it would drop to play as soon as this side of the 'Waiting for the Sun' finished. Sliding over to Athina he crept quietly kneeling down beside her he whispered, "Morrison, really?" Startled water splashed all around him and he chuckled watching her panic. Recognizing his face through the dim light she kicked her leg wildly at him.

"Damn it Kid, you sir are a jerk!" She made sure this time to splash him a little more directly with her bath water. Looking up with a grin she responded, "And of course Morrison. You can't say I don't have a type. Enigmatic front men, with large egos."

He raised his hand to his chest as if offended. "A front man, is that all you see me as?" He questioned.

"With a head as big as yours I'm surprised the rest of the Revolution are able to fit on stage."

"Hush." He suddenly spat harsher than he had anticipated coming from his lips. Once again his flippant nature was rearing it's ugly head. She had said something a little too close to home and his whole mood would change instantly. He hadn't meant it to sound so aggressive, but he wouldn't apologize either.