A Mouthful of Colors

Brendan dropped Arabella off at home after school. She knew her mom would be home soon. After would come her evil stepfather. She had never hated anyone until him. He has been touching her inappropriately since she was thirteen. The first few times it was an 'accidental' touch to her beasts or bottom. Believe it or not, she used to love him like a father. That was when she was nine and extremely naïve.

Her mom came home thirty minutes early. Arabella didn't know if she could tell her. She went down the stairs to the kitchen where her mom is.

"Hey, mom. How was work?"

"Tiring. How was school?" her mom did look very tired.

Under her eyes were blackening bags, and her once dark brown hair was dull and graying. But her mom was beautiful, she never could be anything but that. Kyle would always complain about how ugly her mother has gotten, but Arabella didn't see it.

"Can I spend the night at a friends house?" she suddenly asked. Her mom almost choked on her water.

"Um, sure." Her mom answered surprised her daughter had asked that.

"Her brother is going to pick me up." She knew it was a bad lie, but her mom was too tired to notice and granted her permission to go.

She quickly went up into her room and texted Brendan.

Arabella - What are you doing tonight?

Brendan - Chill at home. Why?

She paused and tried to think of something to say. They hadn't known each other a week and she trusted him with her life already. What if he's a rapist or serial killer? Her mind raced to scenarios of Brendan being a psychopathic killer. Before she could reply he called her. She started to panic, but answered anyways.

"Hello?" her voice sounded uneasy.

"Hey, are you okay?" He asked.

He has a sexy phone voice. She shook her head at the sudden thought.

"I'm... I just," she took a deep breath. "I'm scared."

"Can I come pick you up? We can go do something if you want." She smiled at his offer.

"That would be great, but I don't want you to have to do that-"

"No, it's fine. I'll be there in ten."

"Bren-" he hung up before she could protest.

She grabbed a small purse and put her phone and wallet in it. Then she fixed her bun and put more concealer on her bruise. She checked her phone to see a text from Brendan saying he was about to pull in. She ran down the stairs.

"Bye mom, love you!" she yelled before going to where Brendan's car was waiting. He was already getting out of his car.

"I was going to come get you." he chuckled.

She only blushed and got into his car. When he pulled out of the driveway she saw Kyle's car pull into the driveway. Her heart thumped so fast it ached. She gasped when it started to hurt. Brendan noticed her jagged breathing, and pulled into a fast food restaurant parking lot.

"Belle?" He studied her. She's on the verge of having a panic attack. He went to the passenger side where she was sitting.

"Take a deep breath." He pulled her into his arms and ran his fingers through her hair soothingly.

"Breathe." He told her. She nodded and took deep breaths. He cooed and rocked her until her body stopped shaking so violently.

"I'm sorry." She croaked. Her throat hurt from all of the heavy breathing.