Betrayal

School sucked until lunch. Arabella had been looking forward to the end of the day. Until she realized she was going to visit her mom. As much as she didn't want to, her mom had been calling her nonstop.

While Brendan drove her to her house, she couldn't stop shaking. He grabbed her hand and squeezed it when they turned onto her street. As soon as they pulled into her driveway, she had a sudden urge to completely disappear.

"Don't worry. I'll be right beside you." Brendan said. She turned and offered him a weak smile. He kissed her cheek before getting out of his car. She did the same making her way to the front door.

"I think I'm just gonna walk in." She said putting in her key and turning the lock. As soon as the door opened, the smell of her home hit her nose. She thought she'd miss it, but memories of how she got her bruises flooded into her head.

"I can't." She turned and bumped into a hard chest. Brendan gently grabbed her shoulders.

"We're already here, baby. Let's just get it over with." She nodded and turned back around.

"M-mom." She called loudly. Creaking from upstairs got louder as the person neared the top of the stairs.

"Arabella?" Her mom answered coming down the stairs. Her eyes widened as she spotted her daughter standing by the front door.

"What are you doing here?" Her mom asked.

"You've been calling, so I thought-"

"I need to tell you something." She interrupted.

"O-okay." Her mom motioned for her and Brendan to follow her into the living room to sit on the couch. Brendan sat next to Arabella, she relaxed as his arm went to rest on the top of the couch around her. Her mom noticed this small gesture.

"Your step father, isn't being charged." Arabella felt her heart drop to the floor.

"What?"

"They couldn't prove anything, Bella. Why did you have to put us through this?" Her mother began to cry. Obviously still not believing her daughter completely. Arabella only sighed. Feeling sorry for her mother for being stuck with a lying bastard.

"He deserves to go to prison for what he's done to her." Brendan spat.

"For the love of God, just drop the act. Please, for our family's sake. I won't be angry, honey. I know you want me around more, I've already stopped working overtime." Her mom cried.

"I-I'm not lying, mom. Kyle made me... do things. He-he hurt me." Arabella began to cry. Brendan pulled her into him so he could hold her.

"There's no proof." Her mom sniffled. Arabella pulled away from Brendan and stood. She pulled up her shirt revealing the bruises all over her stomach and ribs. Her mother gasped and stood from her seat.

"Who did this?"

"Kyle." Her voice cracked as she said his name. Though her voice cracked, her cracking heart seemed to shatter.

"Oh, my baby." Her mom pulled her into a tight hug and cried into her shoulder.

"I'm s-sorry."

Everyone froze when the front door swung open. Arabella pulled away and backed up into a hard chest. Arms wrapped around her waist as Kyle entered the living room.

"You came home." He said in obvious fake relief. Brendan scuffed beside her.

"Kyle, sit down. We're going to talk." Her mom said firmly.

"What about, Hun." Arabella cringed at his fake tone.

"About you hurting my daughter." Her voice is laced with venom.