Sharp Words

Halfway through the drive home, Brendan placed a soothing hand on Arabella's thigh.

"Who pushed you?" He asked calmly. She stiffened at his question.

"I don't know." She shrugged. Even though she knew exactly who it was. Ironically, the girl named Ally had a class with her and Brendan

"Don't lie to me." His voice was stern.

"It doesn't matter. It was an accident."

"Did they apologize?" Arabella's mind raced back to Ally's harsh words. Sorry, slut.

"Yes." Well she wasn't lying.

"They had to have pushed you pretty hard." He said, anger at the edge of his voice.

"Don't worry about it."

"Tori checked the tapes with the principal." Her breath hitched. He caught her in the act.

"And?"

"I know it was on purpose. Tori took care of it."

"What did she do?" Arabella asked afraid of his answer.

"Threw a few punches. Nothing major."

"Dammit, Brendan. I said it was an accident."

"I know it wasn't, so stop lying."

"I know you're trying to help, but whatever she did to Ally she didn't deserve." She said angrily.

"So you do know who it was?" His voice was harsh.

"That's not the point."

"She deserved what she got. No one is going to hurt you and get away with it." Brendan said matching her anger.

"I don't want anyone getting hurt because of me."

"She's not hurt, she's taken care of."

"You didn't need to do that. I was fine. It's not like she fucking beat the shit outta me."

"That's what got you hurt, Belle. I'm not letting anyone do that to you again."

"I know I seem helpless, but you don't have to treat me like a child." She said feeling their conversation escalating.

"Is that what this is about? I'm not treating you like a child, I'm trying to protect you."

"Then stop. I don't want you to do that if you're going to hurt people."

"I'm not taking orders from you. If someone is the slightest threat to you, I'm fucking them up."

"I don't need you to do that, Brendan. I'm fine without you." As soon as the words left her lips, she regretted them. The hurt and anger on his face made her feel worse.

"If you were fine without me, you wouldn't have bruises all over your stomach. If you didn't fucking need me, you wouldn't be miserable." He said just below a yell. Both of them stayed quiet for about a minute.

"You're right." Arabella said quietly as he parked the car. She got out before he could reply.

"Belle, I-"

"I think I should go home." Tears fell down her cheeks. She knew she hurt him, but his words hurt more. She didn't know why him saying those things angered her when they were completely true.

"You need to stay with me." Brendan followed her to his apartment.

"Maybe... we should just take a break." Brendan stayed quiet after she said that. They stood outside his front door staring at the ground.