Chapter One

Skye and I walked in the halls of our High School. We were considered to be the outcasts. As we walked passed everyone they stared at us and snickered behind our backs. We learnt a long time ago that it is safer for the two of us to be together. That whole saying; "United we stand, divided we fall". I wish we could be home-schooled, but that was not an option.

I groaned as I saw Ashley and Brian kissing in front of class.

I never understood the whole PDA; Public Display of Affection thing, maybe it is because my mother is not exactly the most loving person. The emotions she usually displays towards us are either sadness or anger. I cannot remember the last time my mother hugged either of us.

A flock of girls were flying around Harper Brown across the hall. Desperate for attention. Every school has that one person in school who everyone obsesses over. They pretend to love him, but in truth they are all secretly jealous of him. That guy in our school is Harper Brown.

We walked into our home economics class with our heads held high. A sign of fake confidence on our part. Never let them see that they get to you.

We walked to the back of the class and I took a seat next to my best friend Tyler. Skylar sat down next to Edith Cyres. Tyler Hawkins is what people refer to as the perfect example of a nerd. He has dark brown hair and very thick glasses. Behind the thick glasses he has ice blue eyes. Next to Skye he is my best friend in the world and I have been secretly in love with him for years.

I am kidding. Sort of. Even if I did like him, relationships only complicated things.

We are friends. At the moment that is enough for me. It is nice to hang out with him and he is good at listening. I do not like the idea of having someone in my life who is more than friends, it is the same with my brother.

He has this one friend that is a girl who I guess could be referred to as his best friend. Her name is Natasha Westwick. To be honest I do not like her at all. She is nothing but trouble and my brother cannot see that. He is set on saving her. I did however promise him that I would give her a chance, but I do not have to be happy about it.

"What up Mac? You look like you ate one of my Aunt Tracy's brownies, if you know what I mean?" He yawned. I could not help it and I started to laugh out loud.

It was one of those random rumors people believed regarding me. The fact that I smoked weed. There is a small amount of truth to that rumor. For the last year I have been taking off-the-counter pain meds for my damaged knee. The day I fractured my knee was also the day I discovered that my boyfriend was cheating on me with my ex best friend Ashley. I squinted my eyes and saw the blonde girl look in my direction. She turned around and spoke to Christina Brown who sat next to her. They both laughed and I groaned.

I remember the exact moment like it was yesterday when I found out.

I was taking part in a Tennis relay match against one of our rival schools. The match was going exactly according to plan. I was on top of my game and I was ahead when it came to the score board.

There was only a few minutes left in the game. I threw the ball into the air with my right hand. I hit it with my tennis racket. As the ball flew towards my opponent my eyes caught sight of Brian and Ashley behind the bleachers. Ashley had her grimy hands all over him and he was sucking her face off. In other words they were French kissing. As you can imagine I was caught a bit off guard and I got distracted. I ended up losing the game.

At one point I had to lunge for the ball. As I lunged the ball flew passed me and I miss-stepped on to the gravel.

Bam!