Chapter Fourteen

I laid on my bed and struggled to get some sleep. Even though I tried my hardest I could not sleep these last few weeks. I was extremely worried about Skye. I found him and Goliath in the kitchen the other day and they were whispering about something. I saw Skye flinch as Goliath tried to grab his arm. There was a mixture of contempt and fear in his eyes. They looked at me and Goliath smirked while Skye vanished through the front door. I knew that I would get no explanation from Goliath.

It has been gnawing at me.

My mother's change of heart was as short lived as we expected. She has become indifferent. She barely even acknowledges our existence anymore. She hardly leaves their room. In the beginning every time this happened and she fell of the wagon I would take it personally. It would be like I was losing my mother all over again. Now I am sadly used to it. Maybe I never really had a mother. She may still be alive but according to us we labelled ourselves as orphans a long time ago.

I closed my heavy eyelids and finally started to drift off just as the front door creaked opened. It was three in the morning on a Saturday. I heard something fall and then someone laughing. I focused my eyes in the dark and saw Skye and who I assumed was Natasha. They almost fell over one of the couches as they tried to sneak into the house. She laughed as she flirted and kissed my brother on his neck. He grabbed her hair and kissed her aggressively on the mouth. This was nothing like my brother. He hated physical contact. Why was he initiating it?

"Do you know what time it is?" I rubbed my eyes.

"Go back to sleep Mac."

"Funny, considering I finally fell asleep and then the two of you woke me up!"

"Just relax McKenzie" Natasha slurred her words and giggled. "Loosen up will you. We were just having a good time." She could barely stand as she swayed left and right.

I stood up in my shorts and a plain T-Shirt. Enough was enough. I had kept my mouth shut for long enough. It was time to give them a piece of my mind. I was tired, irritated and really hungry. I think the last time we had food in the house was a few days ago.

"That is it! I have had it! Do you call bringing my brother home, who is two years younger than you are by the way, drunk and high 'fun'? Then I would rather the two of you stop having so much fun."

"Shut up Mac. You are going to wake up Goliath and mom. It is not a big deal okay. Just leave us alone."

"No big deal? No big deal? What the hell is going on with you? What do you think you are doing? You know how..."

"I am thinking that for once in my pathetic life I actually feel normal. I have a life separate from you and you are jealous. You can't take the idea of me not being totally dependent on you. Come Nat..." He took Natasha's wrist and tried to pull her towards his room. In that moment I did not care if Goliath woke up, or my mother, or the whole neighborhood, he just hurt me with his words and I was furious. How could he think that I wanted him to be dependent upon me? That I did not want him to be happy?

"I really do not care what or who you do in your free time, as long as you are not doing her! Who knows what or who else she is doing behind your back!" Skye stopped and turned around.

"Why do you always have to be such a b#$%! Why can't you just be happy for me that I finally found someone who cares about me?"

"She does not care about you! She is just using you!"

"For what? Because no one could possibly love someone as messed up as me, right? Because no one could love someone as ugly or disgusting as me!" I could see tears form in his eyes. He was physically shaking as he spoke.