Chapter Ten

It has been a month since Harper lied and my already fragile world came crashing down around me. The girl that no one saw, became the girl that everyone detested. Everyone stared at me with suspicion in their eyes and hatred in their hearts. I was a leper cast out from society. They would whisper behind my back or purposely shove me as they walked passed me. Some of them would cross the street just to avoid walking next to me. It was not uncommon for someone to spit in my face.

I wonder if Harper would still have lied if he knew what my life was like at home. Would he have given it a second thought? I know that the things I told him was cruel, but did it really warrant him to create this whole elaborate story? Even in a coma he was ruining my life. A coma that according to everyone else would lead to his ultimate death.

Goliath was furious as was my mother. As we drove home the day I was released from the Hospital I was sure that they would kill me. The punishment he dealt out was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Skylar attempted to take the brunt of the punishment on my behalf.

Something is horribly wrong. I can feel it. There was something in the way that Skye looked at Goliath. It scared me. My brother was turning bitter. There was something eating him up from the inside and there was nothing that I could do to help him. He was carrying around this hatred. Every time I approached him he just brushed me off. It was like he had no more hope. He had given up and a part of me felt responsible. If he did not always try to protect me then he would have less of a burden to carry.

Bitterness was going to destroy him. He was still quiet but there was something lurking beneath the skin. A silent rage and helplessness. What was he hiding? Why is he not talking to me the way he used to? Was he talking to Natasha? Did he share whatever was bothering him with her? It was like he put up this wall around him and he was not letting me or any of our friends in. He was isolating himself.

Things with Tyler have taken a turn for the interesting. I never expected that we would be anything other than friends. It was something new and it felt like I was still analyzing the relationship. I have only ever dated one person and that was Brian. Tyler is the complete opposite of Brian.

I hope that one day I can open up to him fully and that he will do the same with me. I want to trust him, I honestly do. I want to let him in. There is something dangerous about giving yourself to someone. It gives them the opportunity and the means to hurt you. I am sure that he would never intentionally hurt me. What if I hurt him? I had no idea of what it meant to be in a normal relationship. I did not want to lose him as a friend.

Even if I had not jumped in to save Harper, he would have probably still accused me of pushing him. Then again if I did not jump in after him there is a real possibility that he would have died. I thought heroes were supposed to get praised not ridiculed and beaten up. It sort of makes me think of Jesus from the Bible. He was sort of a hero and they hated him. They brought false accusations against him. They beat him. They actually ended up killing him. Was that the only outcome of this situation? That I would end up dying? Maybe I am just feeling morbid. Do all heroes end up dying?

Why does he hate me so much? What did I do to him that was so horrible? Or maybe he was scared to admit that he was not happy. That his life was not as perfect as everyone thought.

The rumors spread like a pandemic and by the time I was healed up and ready to go back to school everyone knew. Everyone hated me even more than before, if that was even remotely possible. Even when the Police was unable to find any proof that I pushed him intentionally, everyone in town still thought that I was the kid who tried to murder Harper Brown. The top "reasons" as to why I did it, was the following;