Chapter Eleven

I stared at my notebook while I sat at the Red Flag. I struggled to find the words to describe how I felt. I kept looking at this empty page that looked about as empty as my life. I sat in this same position for about an hour. When I finally started to write, I wrote with the hope that all of these feelings would stop overwhelming me.

"What the f^&%! I am going to murder that b$%#@!" Skye stormed in and ran to where I was sitting. He hugged me and I completely forgot that I was mad at him. When Skye hugged me in public it was usually when something really horrible happened. He hated showing any form of physical contact in public. That was why I found it so weird that he allowed Natasha to hang all over him and kiss him in public. Maybe love really was blind.

"I am so sorry Mac...I should have never left you alone at school." He hugged me again tightly and I could stop myself. I started to cry on his shoulder. By the time I stopped his shirt was wet.

"I still cannot believe he actually did that. It is all stupid Harper's fault. They hated me before and now they hate me even more because they think I tried to off their golden boy." I sniffed and rubbed my eyes. I hated to cry in public. I hated to cry period. I still felt uncomfortable even though there was hardly anyone in the Red Flag. It was pretty much a dead-zone until about three afternoons.

"I promise you I will get him back for this..." Skye bit hard on his lip. He let go of me and started to rub his wrists. It was only then that I noticed that he was shaking.

"Do not do anything. It is not going to help."

"I do not agree with you ...and it will definitely make me feel better."

I smiled and sniffed.

"How did you find out?"

"Twin sense..." He said it with no emotions and shrugged.

"Nah...Edith and Tyler both called. They were worried."

I looked towards Tyler who was busy at the cash register.

"I do not want to go back to that school. Maybe we can change schools."

"I don't think that will work. If we are even remotely thinking of running we are going to have to leave the city. That is the only way we are ever going to get away from this hell hole." He lay back against the couch and sighed. He swallowed and stared up at the roof.

"Who said anything about us?"

"There is no way that I am going to let you run off on your own. If you run, I run." Skye was deadly serious. He meant every word. What Skye was really trying to say is not that we should run away from school, but that we should run away from Goliath and mom. This is not the first time that the thought has crossed my mind. Where would we go? How would we survive? Could I really leave Tyler and Edith behind? They have been there for me every step of the way.

"Sometimes I wish that we could, you know, just disappear, but it is only going to make things worse." I bit my lip and lay against my brother. I waited in silence for my brother to say something, anything, but he was eerily quiet.

" Everything is going to be alright...There is always a silver lining around every cloud...There is a rainbow at the end of every rainbow...Tomorrow is a new day..." I looked up and saw Tyler. Tyler had three cups of Neapolitan Ice Cream in his hands. He put it in front of us and went to go sit in the chair next to mine. The three of us sat squeezed together. He began to eat the Ice Cream as he continued to talk. His one free hand was holding my free hand. He looked at me in a way that made me feel like I was the only girl in the world.

I blamed Edith for the whole Ice Cream obsession. She had us all hooked.

"At least that is the sort of stuff my grandmother would always tell me to encourage me. That and her famous line, "There are always more fish in the sea, son.", I never really understand the last one, especially considering she usually said it after I got bad marks on a test and that has nothing to do with girls"