Chapter 15

Scott POV

The first dozen times I tried Marleah's phone, the calls went straight to voicemail.

After the 13th try, I was beginning to grow concerned. Maybe my plan wasn't as fool-proof as I thought.

She wouldn't purposefully ignore my calls, would she? Who was I kidding, of course she would. She should. I couldn't blame her for doing what anyone would do in her situation.

Sighing in resignation, I decided to give it one last try for today.

My fingers trembled as they tapped the contact. A familiar buzzing tone filled my ears. I felt the urge to bite my nails as trepidation filled me, heavy like lead.

Just as I was about to hang up, the buzzing stopped. My breath hitched in anticipation.

"Hello?" My heart dropped. Marleah's voice wasn't scarily murderous. It didn't even sound very angry. It was distraught, broken, and tired.

"Marleah? Are you okay? What's wrong?" I could almost hear her freeze up at my voice.

"Oh. Scott," she sniffled as her voice broke "I was, uh, expecting another call."

"Listen, I'm so sorry about what happened with Mitch. I- I was only thinking about myself. I want to prove that-"

"Um, Scott? I really can't deal with this right now. It's- it's not you, I just-"

I heard a small voice murmuring in the background. It sounded like Mitch's. My heartbeat increased.

I heard Marleah's voice whisper something comforting.

"Look, I really can't do this right now. Sorry, Scott. I need to go."

Before I could object, or beg, or plead with her, there was a click. The line went dead.

I knew that my actions had bothered her, but to that extent? She sounded terrible, confused and sad. I couldn't have done that, could I?

I shook my head, trying to clear it. I looked up, surprised to see that it was dark.

The sun wasn't even setting when I arrived here.

Resignedly, I climbed into my car and began the drive home, exhausted and frustrated.

Tomorrow was another day, and with a new day was a new start with new possibilities.

I'd bring flowers to the hospital, give them to Marleah to give to Mitch. I'd write him a nice card. I'd get to the bottom of what was bothering Marleah. It would all be okay. It was all going to turn out okay.

A/N: Sorry this chapter is super short. I'm summer's b*tch at the moment. I appreciate you all getting my book to 1K!!!! Can we get it to 2K?

~Lots of Love, Marleah <3