Chapter 17

~~~~~600 VOTES FOR CHAPTER 18~~~~~

After we've cleared the plates from breakfast, James takes me upstairs to get ready for the day. He sets me on the changing table before darting out again to wash his hands, telling me to stay still while he's gone. I let my legs hang over the table and kick them gently, staring a black dot on the wall opposite me. As I watch, the dot seems to move slowly to the left; I blink and shake my head, then try to refocus on it. This time I'm sure it's moving, and that can only mean one thing. "Daddy!" I half scream in terror, pressing myself against the wall. James runs in a second later, water still dripping from his hands.

"What's going on?" he asks, confused. I point at the dot with a shaky hand.

"Spider," I whimper. "Please kill it, Daddy!" James lets out a loud breath and tips his head back.

"I thought you were hurt or something bad had happened," James says, slightly exasperated, but gets a tissue and kills the spider. I hug him tightly and mumble my thanks into his chest.

"Next time don't shout if you see a spider. Only shout if you're bleeding or something's on fire," he says gently. I swallow and nod. I didn't mean to make him panic.

He picks me up and takes me over to the window, cracking it open so a small, warm breeze can make its way inside. "The weather's perfect today, baby girl," James comments. "I think we should go on an outing today."

My heart rate picks up. I don't want to be like this in public. "No, Daddy," I say softly.

James looks at me, surprise written on his face. I don't think I've ever seriously contradicted him before. "The heat wave's ended, and it'll be nice to go out," he coaxes me. I shake my head stubbornly. He raises his eyebrows. "We're going on an outing today, little girl, and it's final." He doesn't say this unkindly, but it's clear who's in charge.

I try one more time. "But Daddy—"

"No 'but Daddy's," James says sternly as he walks back to the changing table and lays me down. I push his hands away as he tries to unbutton my onesie, and know I've made a mistake when I see his face.

"Did you just push Daddy away?" James asks. I shake my head but I know I'm not getting away with it. He picks me up and sits down in the rocking chair before pulling me over his lap. "Why are you going to be spanked, Lexi?"

"Because I was rude to Daddy and had a bad attitude," I say meekly.

"And is that polite?"

"No."

James spanks me five times, enough to leave a mark but not enough to bruise. I count after each one without a reminder, which I hope will earn me brownie points. After he's done he pulls me up into his lap and pulls me into a warm embrace. "What's gotten into you, Lexi?" he murmurs as he strokes my hair softly.

"I really don't want to go out like this, Daddy," I confide.

James sighs. "If you had just told me that then we could have skipped this little episode." I blush and mumble an apology. "What part of it makes you uncomfortable?"

"Wearing the diaper...and the clothes and stuff," I whisper, not wanting to upset him, but he stays calm and understanding.

"Then we'll fix this," James decides. "How about you wear a pull-up instead?" I consider this for a second, and nod. "And I wasn't going to have you wear a onesie out," he adds.

"Thank you, Daddy," I say quietly. "I should've told you what I was worried about."

"Next time, use your big girl words to tell Daddy what you're uncomfortable with," James reminds me. "Even though you're a little girl." I giggle and he kisses my forehead, then stands up and walks back to the changing table where he lays me down and takes off my onesie and diaper. He rummages under the table for a second before pulling out a pull-up with hearts and princess crowns emblazoned on it.