Chapter 18

~~~~~ 600 VOTES FOR CHAPTER 19 ~~~~~

The cool interior of the ice-cream shop is a welcome respite from the summer heat. James casually rests his hand on the small of my back as we wait in line to order, my heartbeat picking up as I ache for him to slide it lower. He extends his arm to wrap it around my waist when we reach the front of the line, pulling me close to him. The woman behind the counter, dressed in a pink and black dress that matches the shop's '50s vibe, smiles as we approach.

"What can I get for you?" she asks us kindly.

"I'll have a scoop of French vanilla in a waffle cone and she'll have a scoop of chocolate-chip cookie dough in a bowl," James says without hesitation. I look up at him in awe. I vaguely telling him my favorite ice cream flavour what seems like years ago, but I'm surprised he actually retained that bit of trivia.

The woman hands us our sweet treats and smiles again. "You two make a lovely couple."

James leans down to kiss the top of my head. "Thank you." We exit the shop and, after stopping by his car to retrieve a blanket, walk the short distance to a nearby park, hand in hand. The grassy expanse is remarkably quiet, with couples scattered across the park and only a few kids running around. James spots a large tree offering some privacy and leads me over, spreading the blanket on the ground. He sits down against the trunk and pulls me into his lap.

"I didn't think you'd remember my favorite ice cream flavour," I remark, popping a chunk of cookie dough into my mouth.

James shakes his head. "What kind of daddy would I be if I didn't know my little girl's favorite ice cream?" I'm inexplicably overcome by love for him, snuggling back into his chest as we finish our ice cream. I set my empty bowl on the ground beside me and shift myself so I'm straddling his lap. James gazes down at me, the sunlight highlighting his features in a way that makes him seem like he just stepped off a magazine cover. I stretch upwards to kiss him, softly at first, then harder as he presses me closer to him with one hand and grips the back of my neck with the other. His lips taste like vanilla, a sweetness I relish as I tangle my hand in his dark hair. My breath turns ragged when he switches his attention from my lips to my neck, sending a line of kisses from my jaw to my collarbone. I tip my head back and moan softly. James correctly takes this as encouragement and gives one spot his undivided attention, which I'm sure will leave a mark.

When James returns to my lips, I'm feeling wicked and gently roll my hips, willing to take this as far as I can. The thrill of doing this in a public place makes my heartbeat quicken and adrenaline course through my veins, adding to my drive. He kisses me roughly and his hands drift farther down to cup my ass. I roll my hips again, earning a hissed breath from him. He squeezes my ass and my breath catches. I can feel his arousal through his jeans, making mine spike as well. "Daddy," I moan, throwing my head back.

James silences me with another rough kiss. "Fuck, I love it when you call me that." I start to undo his belt buckle, but he stops me. "Not here, baby girl." I blush, resting my forehead against his.

"I got a bit carried away," I mumble sheepishly.

He smiles and kisses my forehead. "So did I." We sit under the tree for about an hour more, talking about anything that crosses our minds. When James decides it's time to leave, he helps me up and folds up the blanket before taking my hand. I look down at our hands as we walk back to his car; the sight of his hand dwarfing mine is comforting and gives me a sense of safety.

The drive home is spent in companionable silence, but instead of going immediately home, James pulls into the parking lot of a Babies R Us. I look over at him, confused. "You've only got one pacifier right now, and I want to make sure you have at least two so there's always one nearby," he explains, back in Daddy Mode.

"I thought you were already prepared for everything," I tease him.

"What if baby's upset or being mouthy and that one paci's not there?" he says, poking my nose. "This solves the problem." I blush and nod.

James found a great parking spot so the walk from the car to the store in the summer heat isn't long. Once we're inside, he leads me to the pacifier aisle and tells me to pick one. The choices are almost overwhelming—princess pacis, zoo animal pacis, glittery pacis and more. It takes a minute, but I narrow the selection down to a pink glittery paci and a Disney princess paci.

"Which one are you going to get, baby girl?" James asks. I grab the princess paci and look up at him with a smile.

"A princess paci for my princess, huh?" he chuckles. I nod. James takes my hand and leads me to the checkout, where we manage to purchase the pacifier with relatively few odd looks. When we get back home, James frees it from its plastic packaging and pops it in my mouth before heading upstairs to change out me of my clothes. He helps me out of the romper and quickly notices that my pull-up is not as dry as it was this morning.

"It looks like you had an accident when we were out," James comments, pulling it down my legs and laying me down on the changing table. "You were supposed to tell me if you were wet."

I can feel the tips of my ears redden. "I didn't realize that I wet myself, Daddy," I mumble around the pacifier. It's true—I had no idea.

James pulls out a diaper from the stack underneath the table. "Clearly you need to be back in diapers if you can't tell Daddy when you're wet." I suck on my pacifier meekly as he diapers me, then dresses me in a onesie with "I <3 Daddy" written on the chest.

"I think it's time for your afternoon nap, baby," he says as he picks me up. "Do you want a bottle first?" I nod, and he sets me down in my crib before disappearing downstairs for a minute, returning with a bottle in his hand.

I raise my arms toward him and he picks me up, sitting down in the rocking chair. "Open up," James says softly, nudging the bottle's teat against my mouth. I part my lips to let it in. James hums quietly, a calming tune that, between the warm bottle and the melody, makes it hard to stay awake. My eyes flutter shut as I finish the bottle and James takes the opportunity to place me back in my crib and pull a blanket over me.

"Sleep tight, princess," he whispers, kissing my forehead softly. And with that, I drift off to sleep.

A/N: FIRST THINGS FIRST LITTLE LEXI NEEDS MORE VOTES. I PUT WAY TOO MUCH TIME INTO THIS STORY FOR THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE TO READ EACH CHAPTER AND LESS THAN A THOUSAND VOTES PER CHAPTER. NOT KIDDING GUYS, KEEP THE VOTES COMING. okay wow it's been like 3 months but I finally updated and it's been over a year since I started Little Lexi!! i'm honestly a mess like AP chemistry is kicking my ass and I have no free time anymore because 4 APs & debate so sorry. so I got a new computer but I have to update off the crappy old one for privacy yanno so that sucks. junior year is some ass but one of the perks is that 1) I get to hate on underclassman that's a huge privilege and 2)my lab partner in AP chem is so cute!! he's kinda dumb and I do all the work for like everything but he's supportive and also hot so there's that. I got stuck with the ap chem teacher I didn't want, like she's a good teacher but the other one is like 25 and he's SO HOT  literally all the girls at my school are in love with him and I think he thinks im crazy but he's always super nice and my GOD I am THIS close to using a stupid chemistry pickup line on him but that's kinda illegal.....still. ummmm i'll update when I can but no guarantees sorry :/ but I promise there will be smut in the future! anyway please comment and vote!!!!