Chapter 18: You're kidding, right?

**Carter's POV**

Keith pats my back as I throw the contents of my stomach up into the toilet. He tries his best to keep me quiet because Siana is sleeping and it's two a.m.

I've been throwing up since yesterday morning and I can't hold anything down. Not even water.

"I'm starting to get worried, maybe we should take you to the doctor, Carter." Keith says as I lean back away from the toilet.

"I'm fine. It's probably just a bad case of food poisoning. I knew that sour cream wouldn't be good..." I try to get up but I'm too weak to do it on my own. Keith helps me back to my bed and I curl up under my blankets.

"Open the windows please." I beg and he does as I ask. As he opens my window, the cool spring air floods my senses. It's so strong and calming. After laying back down, Keith begins to gently rub my aching back.

"I'm sorry I'm so sick..." I say and Keith just laughs.

"Don't apologize for something you can't control."

Keith wraps his arms around me and I'm soon able to fall back asleep. We've been staying at each other's houses the past few weeks and testing the waters on a relationship. Siana seems to be coping well, although Dylan is not. But he's keeping his distance for a bit while things calm down with Charlie.

I roll over to get comfortable, and the morning sun shines through my bedroom window. My phone vibrates on my nightstand next to me, and I pick it up to see who's calling.

"Hello?" I croak into the phone, seeing as how I just woke up.

"Carter, I need to talk to you about something." Dylan seems urgent through the phone.

"Okay, talk." I simply say trying not to worry. Anxiety doesn't go well with the words "we need to talk" or anything along those lines.

"I don't want it to be over the phone. Can I come over?" I hear some thumping in the background of the phonecall. 

"Sure." I say as I roll out of bed. Keith grabs my free arm and looks at me with a questioning look on his face. I give him a reassuring look and make my way to my bathroom as I hang up the phone.

 When I look in the mirror I'm graced with the awful morning look I see staring back at me. My hair is in a tangled mess on my head, my eyes are glazed over from lack of sleep and I swear my breath was green. I brush my teeth and hop in the shower and quickly wash up. After putting on some leggings and a t-shirt I run my hands through my wet hair. Finally deciding I'm almost decent enough for the day I put on some socks and get Siana up and some food in her belly. Keith comes out of the bedroom and rests against the counter looking at me while I am fixing some eggs and bacon. I hate bacon but Keith and Siana love it.

As I'm handing Siana her plate the buzzer rings letting me know Dylan is here. I let him up and when he comes in he seems disappointed that Keith is standing in my kitchen with nothing on but some pajama pants. 

"What did you need?" I ask monotonously.

He leads me outside and looks at me with an expression I've seen a million times.

"Are you two together?" He inquires. 

"I don't know what we are." I answer honestly, shrugging slightly.

"Well he's half naked in your kitchen, Carter." His face flushed red and I couldn't help but giggle at his jealousy.

"So? I'm a big girl." I snort and his hand goes to the back of his neck, tugging lightly at his curls, a habit of his when he's irritated.

"Anyway, I came over to tell you I got a job offer in L.A." He gets to the point and when he finishes my heart sinks. I don't know if it was more for my feelings, or Siana's future.

"Are you going to take it?" I try to keep my voice level, but it failed when I saw his face shift as I asked that question.

"I already did." He stated and the tears broke through.

"What?" I squeak.

"I need to move on in my career." 

"What about Siana Jade? What about me?"

"Carter, you haven't talked to me in weeks except when I make plans with Siana. You act like you don't care about me when I've poured my heart out to you about my feelings over and over. I finally got it through my head that whatever we are... is over." He said and my heart broke more and more with every word. 

"Dylan I don't know why I've been acting this way...I was just angry. I wasn't just angry I was scared." I can't look into his eyes so I stare at the ground and watch my tears hit the concrete of my balcony.

"Of what, Carter?" he questions and I look up at him.

"What would happen to us if we did try again and it didn't work out? I'm scared that we'll end up like those divorced couples who make their kids suffer because they hate each other. I didn't get to grow up with my dad because of it. I didn't want that for Siana. Dylan I love you. That'll never go away. And when you told Charlie that our kiss meant nothing to you those words have played over and over in my head since that day. Because that kiss meant everything to me and nothing to you." I ramble and he wipes one of the tears from my cheek.

"Carter... That kiss didn't mean nothing to me. It meant the world. And I knew that even when I told Charlie that. I just didn't want to admit it right then. Because Carter when you touch me my skin ignites. When you kiss me, all my hurt disappears, all the stress, everything bad in the world melts away. I didn't want to admit it because I didn't want to hurt Charlie. I didn't want to throw everything away when most of the time you denied me." Dylan's eyes stared at me, glossed over with tears. 

"Please don't leave..." I cry and he pulls me into his arms, the smell of him overwhelming my already shaky nerves.

"Come with me Carter."

A/N

Thank you for everyone's reads and votes! It's so amazing to see all the love y'all have for this book! I'm so sorry that I haven't updated in so long. My junior year is CRAZY and so writing is something I have to squeeze in when I can. 

Please continue to comment and vote! 

Also, comment your birthday to find your birthday twin! 

Mine's October 18th!