Chapter 1. Alten

I'm dreaming of Alten, the perfect boyfriend I've built up in my mind ever since I was eleven.

We're standing on a cliff overlooking a raging ocean, and I'm wearing a short pink strapless dress and heels, the kind of outfit that I would never wear in real life. My hair's pinned up at the back of my head, a few loose curls brushing my neck as I turn to look up at Alten.

He's standing a step behind me, his dark eyes taking me in, his expression slightly awed but amused. "You look beautiful," he breathes.

I smile as Alten steps closer, slips off his leather jacket and drapes it over my shoulders before wrapping his arms around me, pulling me closer. I love how smooth and warm his jacket feels against my bare skin, and I love the way his arms fit around me, like we were made to be together.

I run my fingers over the black tattoos twining around his left bicep. I know the pattern so well I could probably draw it with my eyes closed. It's a rose vine spiraled around my name, Ashlynn, and it's exactly the kind of tattoo I would love to get but would never dare to.

Alten's muscles are hard and tight under his thin white T-shirt. I lean forward automatically and rest my head against his chest, and I feel him gently taking out the pins in my hair and slowly brushing his fingers through my curls. I can feel my skin tingling with his every touch.

My heart starts racing as Alten bends his head down so that his brown eyes are staring straight into mine. I can see my own eyes reflected in his pupils, as I'm sure he can see his in mine.

My breath catches in my throat as he leans in closer. I know he can hear it, because he smiles. He pauses just before he gets to my lips, making me wait. I'm frozen in the moment, my whole being focused on anticipation. My arms tighten around him.

And then my eyes close and Alten's lips are on mine and my world is swirling round and round on itself and I hope it never stops.