Chapter 20

It was lunch time and the crew were sat in the mess hall eating their selected lunches; Ezra could now feed himself - it was a slow and hesitant process but he could do it and that's all that mattered!! They were talking and enjoying the peaceful moment, laughing a the jokes.....until all turned cold. The Master and Padawan sat up as a feeling of worry and horror washed over them both; their friends noticed this of course "Kanan??" Hera spoke. The man ignored his girlfriend as he looked around to see all of the younglings and Jedi knights noticing the change; the knights began to move the children out of the mess hall - most likely entering the evacuation process "somethings....wrong". Well that was a little more than obvious. Ezra wrapped his arms around himself to hold onto the warmth - they all did. 

"Hello, my apprentice" a dark and deceiving voice spoke, one that they each knew all too well; Kanan and Ezra instantly stood up as they ignited their lightsabers - the man instructed his remaining crew to go to the council and tell them that Maul was back. Once the three had ran out the door, Maul used to the force to shut and lock them back; no one was entering or leaving any time soon. "Ezra isn't going anywhere with you Maul!!" Kanan exclaimed as he glared at the Sith; he purposely stood in front of the boy as he had yet to learn how to fight and duel blind. He'd only just learnt how to see through the force!! This just seemed to make Maul smirk and laugh "oh but I think he will, he'll even come willingly" he stated, confusing and worrying the two further "unless he wishes for something terrible to happy to these little pests". 

All of a sudden, Luke and Leia came floating from behind a near by pillar due to Maul's force hold on them; Kanan's eyes widened in horror - Ezra's would have too but...well, we know why. "Ezzy!!" the fearful children screamed once their caught sight of the teenager; the teen was horrified to hear the twins voices "no!! Let them go Maul!!" he yelled "this is between you and me!!". The Sith continued to chuckle as he shook his head - this was one whole game to him "indeed, but when I saw you wouldn't come quietly, I have to add a threat to....spice it up a little" the twins were crying and afraid, especially as their capture used the force to hover them over the balcony!! "No!!" the Master and Padawan exclaimed in worry and a fear of their own; their enemy didn't drop the children but his patience was wearing thin "join me Ezra and I will spare their lives". 

All was silent and it seemed Maul didn't like that as his patients finally ran out "have it your way" he stated before smirking at the children "say goodbye Skywalker's" and with that, he dropped them three hundred feet from the ground!! "Luke!! Leia!! No!!" Ezra screamed before allowing his instincts to take over his mind and body; he sprinted towards the balcony before....jumping over!! "Ezra!!" Kanan attempted to run to where his Padawan had jumped but was stopped by a red lightsaber "time to die Jedi". Truth be told, Maul himself was shocked by the boys actions, but he didn't allow that to distract him unlike his Master. The two fought one another - Kanan felt like his was back on the Star Destroyer dueling with the Inquisitor as his fighting skills were better then usual. And it seemed that was what helped him defeat Maul as his parted the Sith's body from his head. Without a second to spare, Kanan raced out of the mess hall, through the temple and out into the courtyard where everyone had been evacuated.

Back to when Ezra had thrown himself off of the balcony, the teen only had one thought in his mind 'save Luke and Leia' and it seemed that it didn't matter if it was the last thing he would do. The boy could see everyone gathered in the courtyard below, all watching in horror and fear - this included his beloved crew. Finally, he reached the screaming and crying twins; Ezra wrapped them in his arms before using  every bit of the force he could to make them float down and into the arms of Anakin and Depa. It worked!! They were safe and okay!! Sadly, Ezra knew the same could not be said for him. He watched as the ground came closer and closer; he didn't want to die.....but he was glad he was doing so after saving people - especially as he cared and loved them. That was the rightful way for a Jedi Knight to die from what he had been taught and told - he was honored to be allowed the same. 

Closing his eyes, Ezra send his Master a message through their strong bond, one finally message. Everyone either closed their eyes or looked away and Ezra's body hit the ground with a thud; Hera ran to the teenager with Zeb and Sabine right behind her. "Ezra!?" she knelt down beside the boy and checked for a pulse, for a noticeable breath, for anything!!....But nothing could be seen for found "no...please Ezra...please...we can't lose you" she begged as tears finally spilled over and streamed down her cheeks - Zeb and Sabine were stood behind her as they followed suit, the young girl turning and burying her face into the Lasat's arm. Zeb embraced the artist as he pressed his face into the top of her head, his tears hidden by her colorful hair. 

Within minutes, Kanan came sprinting out of the temple and towards them; he was forced to a halt as soon as his eyes landed on the fallen boy. He collapsed to his knees next to his Padawan as he sobbed "no....he can't be!!" was all he could say through his tears. Now you're probably wondering what Ezra's last message was?? It was just a simple four worded sentence - one that had more meaning and emotion than anything else. 'I love you dad'.