Chapter 5 - A Little Help From The True Witch

Today is Saturday, Today is our spring dance. Today, my world will change.

*                                                    *                                                               *

I woke up with the smell of overcooked pancakes. Way to start the day. I looked at my bedside table and noticed that the paper was there. I looked at it one more time, and tucked it under my mattress. I sighed and went downstairs. The first thing I saw was an angry Melissa.

“What happened?” I asked, still with sluggish eyes.

“I was cooking pancakes. I think the pan has a defect.” She whined.

I looked at her workplace. She even bought the pancakes that can be cooked instantly.

“You are not supposed to microwave it.” I said, trying not to laugh.

“It says here that it’s needed to be micro waved!” She reasoned.

I lifted the pancake box and checked if there really is an instruction, but she snatched it from my hand and threw it in the garbage can.

And then she started tapping her fingers on the counter impatiently, like she was waiting for something.

“So… aren’t you going to clean it?” She asked, while getting her cell phone from her bag, which was hung around a chair.

I’m starting to wonder if she’s actually doing this on purpose.

I didn’t even reply. I just started cleaning it.

Once I was done, Melissa started babbling again.

“So, mom said you can only go to prom if you finish all your chores. Feeling depressed now, right?”

I shook my head. “I’m not really looking forward to it anyway.” I was now wiping my hand through my grey t-shirt. But I lied. I’m really looking forward to this night.

She looked displeased, it seems like she hoped for another reaction. But she just walked away. Just as I was supposed to go upstairs, Carrie blocked me.

“Where are you going Miss Harrison?” She asked.

“Upstairs.” I replied.

“I can see that, but didn’t I assign a task for you?” She snapped.

I froze. I wanted to talk back. But maybe she wouldn’t let me go if I did, so I just replied.

“Yes. But, the problem is I need money to buy gowns. And I need heavy cleaning material to clean the whole house. Can I ask, what time is it already?” I asked while I looked at her golden watch.

She looked at her watch and looked up. “You have 11 hours. You have to get all the things done by 6 pm. Am I clear with you?”

I was asking the time. Not how many hours I have left. But I was kind of shocked. 11hours? I can’t even finish Carrie’s bedroom with that time limit.

“11 hours? Is that even possible?” I asked.

“Yes, if you have determination. Okay, to make it a little bit easier, just fetch Melissa and Vanessa’s masquerade ball gowns and masks. Here is the address.” She handed me a piece of paper that contained the address.

She doesn’t trust me. That’s why.

***

I was now walking through the streets of Storybrooke, the cars roaring up behind me, the wind blowing up my hair.  I looked at the paper, written in clear cursive writing; Madam Eleanor’s Dress Shop.