We Need You » Newt x Reader

Gender: Not specified
Warning: Death Cure spoilers, attempted suicide and blood
Setting: Pre-Thomas' arrival

~~~

'Damn this heat!' You cursed in your head. You had been working all day in the sweltering sun; planting and picking food for Frypan to cook. Being a Track-Hoe, however, could not compare to running all day in this blasted heat.

Shuddering, you imagined what your friends, Newt and Minho, must be going through. Running was one thing, but running in the burning sun was another thing altogether. You could only be glad you aren't a Runner.

"Grab some more fertiliser will you?" Zart grinned, chucking the bucket at you. Just before it hit you, you caught it and nodded to the Keeper.

You welcomed the blissfully cool shade of the woods as you entered the Deadheads. Hopping over tree roots, you jumped nimbly through the darkened trees to where the fertiliser was kept.

When your bucket was full, you proceeded to head back to Gardens and into the burning sun. Something was wrong. You saw it as you neared the edge of the woods, where the trees were less thick and the sunlight shone through the leaves and dappled the dusty floor.

All the Gladers had left their posts and were crowded near the entrance to the Maze. From a distance, you could see that they were whispering to each other. Jeff and Clint, the Med-jacks, could be seen running across the Glade with their medical supplies to join the crowd of worried boys.

'What was going on?' You ran as swiftly as you could towards the huddled mass. As you drew nearer, you could make out that Alby, Jeff and Clint were huddled around something. Or someone.

A couple of the boys turned to face you as you approached. "What's happening?" You questioned to no one in particular.

"Y/N, maybe you shouldn't..." Winston trailed off.

"Maybe I shouldn't what?" You demanded.

Some of the Gladers tried to block your view as you pushed closer. Then you saw him.

Newt.

He was lying motionless, pale and bloody, on the grass which covered the Glade floor. His left leg was broken and twisted at an awkward angle to the rest of his body. You gasped but couldn't tear your eyes off the horrific sight.

Tears were filling your eyes but you tried to blink them away. "Newt..." That was all you could muster. You struggled to get closer but this time Minho came and held you back.

"Get Y/N out of here," Alby commanded. So Minho dragged you away from your friend's body and towards the Kitchens.

You were properly crying now and you continued to struggle as Minho forced you inside. Sobbing, you shoved on his chest, trying to escape the iron grip he had around you.

"What the shuck happened? Was it a Griever? Why were they out in the day? Will he live?" You trembled between hiccups.

Minho sighed, distressed and for the first time you noticed that he had been crying too. "It wasn't a Griever."

"What? Then what was it?" You asked, almost dreading the answer.

"It... It was... He..." Minho faltered, "He did this to himself Y/N."

These words hit you like a brick. "What? No. No, he wouldn't. Why would he? He wouldn't do that to us. Why... Why would you say that?"

"He jumped Y/N. He climbed to the top of one of the shuck walls and he jumped."

Your tears flowed faster and you gave up trying to stem them. "But why?" You cried and sobbed into Minho's chest. "He has us. Why didn't he talk to us?"

Minho just shook his head at a loss of what to say.

~~~

It has been a week since it happened. Newt was still unconscious. Jeff and Clint were becoming more and more unsure if would ever wake up.

You sat motionless at the side of his rickety bed, holding his unmoving hand. Newt's leg was swathed in bandages and he was still inhumanly pale. Jeff had told you that, if he did wake up, he would always have a limp. He could never run again.

For most of the past week, you had been sat in this uncomfortable chair, waiting and praying for him to open his eyes. Minho, and sometimes Alby, would occasionally join you in silence.

As much as it pained you to admit it, even you had started to give up hope. Another random bout of tears appeared and you cried softly into your hands. You didn't know how long you sat there.

"Y/N..." A small, croaky voice broke your sobs. Confused, you peered up through your hands. Newt was looking at you, his warm brown eyes full of concern.

"Newt..." You whispered, unable to believe what you saw. "Newt!" You wrapped your arms around him and hugged him as tightly as you could, not wanting to ever let go. Then you began crying again. "How could you do that to us? To me?"

He looked down, ashamed. "I just couldn't do it anymore. It felt impossible, we can't escape. I lost hope and I gave up. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"Why didn't you talk to me, or Minho? We're your friends Newt. And I love you," You whispered the last part inaudibly.

"I... I don't know..." He faltered.

You hugged him again. "We'll always be here for you Newt. We need you." Then you pressed your lips to his; they were warm and salty with tears. He kissed back, with no hesitation.

For a moment, you forgot where you were. You forgot the troubles you faced in the Glade. You were happy. This was where you belong. With Newt.

~~~

sorry the ending was crap. oops.

please check out my newt x reader story if you haven't already. i would really appreciate it!

hope you enjoyed!

~sincerelygabriel