Chapter seven

Jan Di's throat was dry, her stomach was twisting and her heart pounding. Why is he calling me? Her hands were shaky as she answered the unexpected call.

"H-hello?"

"Geum Jan Di!" He was already shouting. "What do you think you are doing?"

Jan Di was caught off guard. Was he watching Ji Hoo and I? Is this about the Cafe?

"What are you talking about Goo Jun Pyo?"

"What am I talking about? You let that monkey woman stay at your house! She told me Ji Hoo was there as soon as you woke up, for a date." He was furious with her, not lowering his voice for a second. "Where are you? I'm coming over."

"No! You can't come over. We don't need to see each other." Jan Di felt sick to her stomach. What's his problem? I guess he thinks no one should associate with me.

"What? Why?" His shouting had stopped, anger turning into confusion.

"You were able to move on from me in Macau, it's time for me to do the same. You're engaged to Ha Jae Kyung." She tried to sound as calm and collected as possible, biting her lip in frustration.

"Geum Jan Di, are you an idiot? I'm not marrying that woman and i'm not letting you move on either."

"What?" Now she was annoyed. That curly headed jerk just wants me miserable!

"It's just a show. I'm only going along with this because of my mother."

"What happens when the wedding day comes then? Ha Jae Kyung seems to like you, are you really not going to marry the woman your mother chose?" Jan Di asked a now silent Jun Pyo. "I haven't forgotten the words you said to me in Macau. How you wanted me out of your life, how i'm a stain you want to erase and you only pretended with me."

"Jan Di... that was-"

"No. I'm not doing this Goo Jun Pyo. We are no longer each others concern. You made your choice in Macau, you made your choice when you agreed to the engagement at your party." She was fighting back tears, trying to remember to take deep breaths.

"It's not my choice! Won't you let me explain anything? Are you that dumb you think I want this?" Goo Jun Pyo was shouting again.

"Answer one question for me Goo Jun Pyo. Will you go through with this marriage?" Jan Di's voice cracked, she couldn't fight her tears anymore. She waited for his answer.

"I don't know what to do. My hands are tied. You know I don't love her."

Jan Di was quiet. She expected him to say that. I knew what was coming but it still hurts. Everything meant nothing. He's really not mine anymore.

"Jan Di..." He sounded upset.

"I hope you have a happy life, Jun Pyo. Please don't call me again. It's better if we don't talk anymore." She quickly hung up the phone.

Sinking into her bed, Jan Di cried, releasing all the tears she had been holding back since her return from Macau. I can't keep doing this. She cried until she was exhausted and falling asleep. I really don't want to be alone right now... I wish Ji Hoo was here. Shocked by her own thought, she shook her head. Trying to get him out of her mind. Go to sleep Geum Jan Di, even your thoughts are crazy.

The next day Jan Di awoke to someone at her door. She dragged herself out of bed and answered.
"J-Ji Hoo? Why are you here again?" She stared at him, blinking slowly. Sometimes I think he can read minds.

"A very angry Goo Jun Pyo called me last night, he said he spoke to you as well. I thought you could use some cheering up." He held up a grocery bag and smiled.

Jan Di invited him in and he immediately started cooking breakfast. Ji Hoo's favorite thing to make is pancakes, he says they are the best for when you are sad. He cut up fruit and poured them each a glass of fresh juice. He set their plates on the table and motioned for Jan Di to eat. Before the first bite even made it to her mouth, Jan Di heard someone call her name as they opened her front door.

"Jan Di! I'm back!" Jae Kyung cheerfully hollered. She ran into the little apartment and stopped in front of Jan Di, looking back and forth between her and Ji Hoo. "Oh? Again?" She grinned at Jan Di. "Honey come in! You have to see how cute this is."

"What now, monkey?" Goo Jun Pyo stepped in behind Jae Kyung.

Jan Di was frozen, her mouth gaping open, unable to speak.

Goo Jun Pyo looked from Jan Di to Ji Hoo, stomping over. "What's going on? Why are you here every morning Yoon Ji Hoo?"

"Why do you sound mad? Isn't it obvious what's going on? They are dating." Jae Kyung seemed a little too excited about the scene in front of them.

"DATING?!" Goo Jun Pyo was screaming. He started to speak again but Jae Kyung cut him off.

"Isn't it great? Now we can double date! Oh but you guys look so intimate already, how long have you been together?" Jae kyung was smiling, but Jan Di was getting a weird vibe from her. She looked to Ji Hoo who was glaring at the overly excited intruder.

Something weird is definitely going on.

"Why don't you just tell us what brought you here so early?" Ji Hoo was the first to speak after an awkward silence.

"I wanted to ask Jan Di about your date yesterday, but it looks like it went well seeing as you must have stayed over." Jae Kyung grabbed a hold of Jun Pyo's arm, pouting her lips. "Why won't you have a sleepover with me?"

Jan Di felt her face turn red. What is Jae Kyung talking about?! Ji Hoo didn't stay over.

Goo Jun Pyo shook her off and grabbed Jan Di's hand, pulling her up and dragging her out the door. Jae Kyung and Ji Hoo were left alone.

Right outside the apartments, Jun Pyo was questioning Jan Di.

"Tell me what's really going on with you and Ji Hoo."

Jan Di was shifting around awkwardly trying not to look Jun Pyo in the face. "Why do you want to know?"

Jun Pyo punched the wall next to him in frustration, pacing back and forth in front of Jan Di.

"Do you like him? Are you dating?" he quickly put his face in front of hers, forcing her to make eye contact.

Jan Di couldn't find the words to deny what he said. I've always had feelings for Ji Hoo, but they were pushed aside by my feelings for Goo Jun Pyo.

"What if I do like him?" She mumbled.

He stared at her blankly for a moment, contemplating if he heard her correctly. "Geum Jan Di i think you were right, we shouldn't see each other again." He turned around and walked off.

I'm sorry, Goo Jun Pyo. I didn't want to hurt you but I need time away from you so I can heal. Maybe I do still have feelings for Ji Hoo I've been unaware of, but I need time for my heart to heal, even if only a little.