Pete and Repeat Were Sitting On a Fence.....

Ya'll know that trick? Pete and Repeat were sitting on a fence, and Pete fell off. Who was left?

Repeat!

So I'm guessing by now you get the gist of what this part of the rant is about. Repetition.

One of the main things that bother me is when an author repeats and repeats and repeats again. Maybe not on Wattpad so much, but I have seen authors do this, even published ones.

Now, repetition is a fine tool, good and effective for getting a point across. However too much of it is like...how do I fix this damn broken record?!

If you're saying the same thing in 8 different ways every other paragraph then PLEASE stop. One author I've read is a very good romance author but all of her works repeat the same idea at least twice per page (and she's published and I want to say a bestseller too)

.. That's like getting hit in the head with a pencil. Doesn't bother you that much the first few times but after a while, you want to turn around and punch the person doing it.

That's what I feel like doing sometimes.

I would do an example, but it'd take up too much room.

Another thing. Repetitive plot lines. I've seen a few writers do it on Wattpad and even published authors. If I wanted to read the same thing over and over, I'll stay with the same characters and with the same book.

None of my plot lines are similar. One's about cars and another planet, one's about werewolves and a murder case, one's about two boys in a cargo container. See the difference? I can go hundreds of different ways with each story. (Also, just because I put these ideas in my rant does not mean they are up for others use as their own. I will be pissed if I find out someone copied me.)

Mix it up a little bit. Make sure your characters (if they're human that is) are different, make them shy, make them angry at the world, make them tough, make them average, make them super smart, but most of all, make them fundamentally human. There are extremes, however the average person is just that, average.

So I can't think of anything else to add to this part of the rant, so until next time my readers :)

My next rant is probably going to be about characters as a warning lol