Letter & Cuff

Chapter Twenty-Four.
»Morgan.

   My mom slips an envelope in front of me, I look down at it.
    "You brought it, thanks man." I whisper, slipping the envelope in my pocket.

   "Get out, MJ." I take out the envelope, I look at it and frown. This is from Iraq, who in hell is in Iraq? My mom crosses her legs and leans back, what? I open it carefully, its a letter.
     Something falls from between the letter, I lean down and pick it up.

   The picture is Mike with two other soldiers, they were smiling except one, he looks to be mad and serious. I feel something on the back of the picture, I turn it over and see it was a cuff.

  The cuff looks bendable, thin so it can fit in the envelope but thick from the letters written on the cuff; ARMY and on the bottom, it said Mike.
    I look up at my mom who just shrugs, she keeps watching her drama. Carefully, I take off the cuff from the picture and smile.

   It's cute, the cuff is cute. Quickly I unfold the letter to read it, the words slowly start changing and my vision gets slightly blurry. I blink a couple of times and focus on one word, taking my time.

Hey Morgan, you might find it weird that I'm sending you a letter which you--

"What's that word? The letters are flipping." I point at the word, my mom leans in and tells me the word. Okay.

probably don't care. But since I finally met you again, I feel happy again. Honestly, I don't know what to say much. Probably that it's hard over here an Iraq, I wish I had more time to spend with you and maybe we could be friends again. Oh, the picture is me with two other--

"This word." I point at the word, "comrades." My mom answers.

comrades, the one on the left reminds me of you so much--all wild and funny. Also on the back, there is a cuff that I got. I hope you like it, I remember that you use to like the word ARMY a lot so I thought you still do, you were so into the word ARMY and kicking my ass when we were kids. I hope you remember that, I also hope that you write back.

I love you, Morgan.

      Mike.

I just stare at the bottom of the paper. He loves me? He must of fallen and hit his head, that's what happened.
   Mhmm...

  What can I do? My mom puts the cuff bracelet around my left wrist. It's so pretty. I take the picture and letter with me to my room.
    My dad took Kenobi to the vet because she kept coughing and wouldn't eat her food. Its been like six minutes since they left, the vet clinic is kind of far away.

I open th left the drawer and take out a empty picture frame, it's a simple white frame. I open the back of it and place Mike's photo there, after securing the picture, I place it next to the picture of my parents.
    It was nice of him to send me this picture and cuff, I'm not going to throw it away. I place the letter under that picture frame, I'll probably throw it away by accident and I don't want to do that.

  My phone starts ringing, "yes?" I answer immediately.

        "Are your parents home?" A muffled voice comes through, I quickly end the call. Bastard. Who the hell made this call? I'm gonna find you and kill you.
    The phone rings again, "look you bastard--"

    "Did you just call me a bastard, Jupiter?"

   "Oh it's you." My voice sounds disappointed which just end up happening, it's French. "Were you expecting someone else?"