Chapter 7: Day Trips,Wing Man Hide and The Dinner Date

The next morning, Amon stepped out of his room, noticing the young albino wasn't up yet. Kaneki was usually up and had eaten by the time he got up. He yawned and started making coffee. He groaned when there was not enough in the jar. He would just have to stop and get some cheap, dissatisfying brew.   He put his bread in the toaster  and turned on the TV. There were reports of massive ghoul attacks in the 2nd ward, near one of the CCG's buildings. The Ghouls were definitely getting bolder. He hadn't noticed, but his toast was burnt. He sighed and smothered it with peanut butter. His watch beeped, he was late for work. Today was just not his day! Amon shoved the rest of the toast into his mouth, left a quick note for Kaneki and was out the door. He sprinted to the train station and as soon as he neared the steps, the train sped away. He almost screamed in frustration. Until he saw Shinohara, his boss, had also missed the train. "Shinohara-San!" He called out, and the man turned around to see his co-worker. "Oh, Amon-Kun, you missed the train as well?" "Yes." "Well, I was just about to call a cab, would you like to join me?" "Yes sir! Thank you!" Finally! Things are working out! Amon thought as he walked up the stairs, chatting with his boss.

Kaneki had been up late, having chatted with Hide the night before, and barely making the last train home. By the time he was back he was exhausted. But content. Hide was going to be alright. He yawned and got out of his comfy bed. Amon was gone, and by the looks of the peanut butter jar open, on the counter and the TV still on he had left in a hurry. There was a note on the kitchen table, all it said was "late for work. No coffee" in scribbled handwriting. He figured as much. He pinched his nose and put away the peanut butter jar, and retrieved his breakfast from the freezer, and put it in the microwave. It was better warm. He sat in front of the TV, he had put on an anime, Naruto. Kaneki remembered when he used to watch it as a kid. He sat on the couch,  his kakugan blazed to life at the first bite, and he slowly devoured his meal. He had been trying to slow down after one time he ate so fast he threw up. Amon Vomited when he tried to help clean it up. Kaneki was still extremely embarrassed about it.
He decided after cleaning up his breakfast that he would go to the grocery store today, he had noticed that  Amon was out of milk, eggs and instant ramen. (Kaneki didn't understand, but that's what the man insisted on bringing to work for lunch) so he took a quick rinse in the shower, got dressed and was on his way. He was also going to make a stop at the bookstore. To relax, get some coffee and some new books. He had been living with Amon for almost a month, his wounds had healed, he was happy and he had found a safe place to live. Things were good.
It took him a while to get to the grocery store, he wanted to walk because it was a nice day. He bought everything he needed, and more. He wanted Amon to start eating right, so he bought a bento lunch box. He asked one of the female employees what the best, nutritional lunches would be, and she pointed out everything he would need, and pointed to a cook book. He realized if he was going to stay with Amon, he might as well pay rent in food. Normally he would never enter anyplace with human food, but he had been introduced to special 'nose plugs' that let him breath normally, and not smell at all. They were also almost invisible. They were the best. He thanked the brown-haired worker with a small smile, causeing her to blush. "N-no problem sir." She stuttered, "have a nice day!" "You too." Kaneki paid, and left. He decide to drop off the food, and then head over to the coffee shop. He didn't want Amon's vegetables spoiling in the sun. He took the train on his way over, it had gotten slightly chilly. He was almost there when there when the train slowed to a stop. There had been some traffic with the trains, he was going to be there for a while. He decided to text Amon.

K: how's work? I'm on the train to get some new books, but there were problems with the other trains. I'm stuck here for a while.

A: Work is good. My co-workers are driving me crazy. I would love to chat, but we have an important meeting. Talk to you later.