TWO

TWO

LENNON DID not know for how much longer they walked. Several times they had lost their way and awkwardly had resorted to asking passersby for help. Eventually, under the dark blanket of dusk, the two girls stumbled across a grungy building, a black banner stuck haphazardly across its doorway: BAN THE BOMB. Below the huge title text was the more important information, and both girls read it fervently, desperate to be involved. The somewhat messy scrawl, looking as if it had been smudged in the production process, stated that meeting happened weekly on Fridays at ten p.m.

Elated with their newfound information, Lennon and Lily turned on their heels and headed home. They only had a faint idea of their route home in their minds, and yet they didn't let it bother them, far too concerned with the exciting plans they had for two days time. The entirety of their walk home, they chatted animatedly about what they expected, feeling luckier than ever before.

It took them another half hour to make their way home, much to Mrs Lowe's dismay, as the clock had now struck quarter to twelve. She almost immediately banished Lily back to the Evans household, despite her weak spot for the girl. With a short, sweet farewell, the fiery-haired girl bid the family goodnight, departing the house and disappearing around the corner into the darkness.

"What bloody time do you call this, Lennon, you stupid girl?" Mrs Lowe exclaimed, her face drowning in a mixture of anger and concern. 

Lennon was promptly hit over the head with a dishrag, ducking out of the way to narrowly avoid a second hit. She backed against the wall, praying her mother wouldn't come closer with that look of fiery rage in her eyes.

"Mum, it's fine! We were just out looking for a rally meeting. We heard about it on the radio!"

"Oh, Len, you know how I feel about this! It's beyond sketchy, bound to dump you in some sort of trouble, you know."

"There's a meeting in two days. It'll be controlled, totally safe and un-sketchy! I promise! Plus, Lils'll be there with me. You trust her, don't you?" 

Lennon knew exactly how to appeal to her mother. While she herself was perhaps not the safest of bets, Lily had always been the more rational of the two, and as a result, the go-to when convincing Lennon's mother they'd be alright. The older of the two let out an irritated sigh, scraping a seat out at the small dining table in the centre of the kitchen.

"When is it?" She said, as though she had been worn down to the idea.

"Friday at ten, Lil-" She began, but her mother's eyes grew wide and Lennon knew immediately she regretted being truthful.

"Ten! Lennon, it'll be far too dark. That's no time for you young things to be out alone in the city! You'll be home after twelve every night at that rate!"

Lennon groaned audibly, collapsing in a heap on the nearby staircase. Her hair fell across her eyes as she rested her head against the cool wooden slats of the bannister. Closing her eyes, she felt the regret sinking in - she was stupid to have even considered being honest in this scenario, knowing far too well that her mother would never have been pleased. Knowing she had lost the battle, she stood, pushing herself up and towards the front door with defeat. 

"I'm going to Lily's. I'll see you tomorrow," she said, aggravation evident in her voice as she approached the front door that still lay wide open.

"Lennon! Come back here right now," her mother called helplessly, but she knew it was no use. She sunk back into the wooden kitchen chair, its wounded leg wobbling precariously at the sudden impact. She knew all too well that arguments with her eldest daughter were bound to end this way.

Further round the corner, Lennon hurried through the shadows. She knew that her mother had been right in some ways - it was beyond dangerous to venture out past dark, especially in London of all places. But she was seventeen, what she would consider an independent young woman, and there had to come a time where she could make these sorts of decisions for herself. 

Lily's house was right around the corner, and a result, looked much the same as Lennon's, if not larger and slightly less decrepit from the outside. The Evans family took great pride in how they appeared to outside visitors, and it was evident from the garden to the gleaming window panes. Lennon reached up, rapping her knuckles firmly against the polished wooden door, and within a few seconds of waiting, the door was opened abruptly. Standing there, looking less than pleased, was Lily's older sister, Petunia. 

Hesitant to invite Lennon in, Petunia kept the door half-closed, as if to make it clear she was unwanted there. Regardless, Lennon stepped past the welcome mat, granting the scowling girl a faux smile.

"Good evening, Lennon," Petunia spoke, her voice sickly-sweet, sarcasm practically dripping from her lips.

"Evening, Tuney," the intruder replied with the same fake-enthusiasm rolling off her tongue. "Where's Lily?"

Although having asked, she instantly headed for the stairs, knowing Lily would rather camp out in her cramped room than sit downstairs where her sister would be, hogging the television to watch late-night shows.

Petunia didn't bother to haver an answer, and instead slid back across the wooden floor and into the living room, slamming the front door shut as she went. The Evans family were night owls, and so although the clock had struck twelve upon her arrival, all four of the family were awake, and welcoming to some degree. After all, they were used to Lennon's surprise drop-ins, more than aware of the temperamental relationship she shared with her mother. 

Lennon made for Lily's room, turning left at the top of the stairs. She didn't even bother knocking as she flung open the door, and the ginger jumped at the surprise entry. Lily lay on her bed, radio perched on the windowsill and playing some dreamy boyband Lennon couldn't quite recognise. She promptly sat up and turned it off upon Lennon's arrival, sliding up on her bed to offer her space which she gratefully took advantage of.

"Sleepover?" Lily asked, eyes weak and watery, as if the day's events had worn in and resulted in a bout of fatigued yawning. 

"Mhm." Lennon didn't bother to address the situation properly - a simple mumble was all it took to confirm that she was staying the night.

"Pyjamas?"

"Please."

The two girls, who had been friends for almost their entire lives, knew each other better than anyone else in the world. Accordingly, they easily fell into step with one another, and as if working on muscle memory, began to follow their usual sleepover routine. 

Lily stumbled over Lennon, moving across her carpeted flooring to pull open a wooden drawer bashfully. Out of it, she pulled two pairs of pyjamas, varying in colour only. Throwing one pair at Lennon, her aim was immaculate, and the pair of shorts draped themselves over her head, causing Lily to let out a snort of raucous laughter.

Lennon rolled her eyes, peeling the shorts away as she slid the azure button-up shirt over her head. Once both dressed appropriately, the pair slid under the covers, squished against each other in the small bed, yet they didn't mind.

Side by side, they lay there, listening to the other's gentle breathing. It was Lily that fell asleep first, her hair spread out across her pillow like a fiery halo, and shortly after, Lennon joined her. It was almost peaceful, and childlike, they wandered into their dreams, thinking only of a better place - a better life, without the worries of the real world. In each other's company, they could feel nothing but safety, and for now, that was all that mattered.