FIVE

FIVE

"WILL YOU quit fucking around before one of you gets hurt?" Lennon snapped, arms crossed tightly across her chest as James threw Lily over his shoulder recklessly, laughter echoing down the dark, secluded alleyway.

"What's got you so grumpy, love? Past your bedtime?" James teased as Lily's face turned as fiery red as the hair that swayed around the taller boys legs. She was delighted to say the least, an absolute contrast to her best friend, who was for some reason, entirely too jealous. 

"I don't want my best friend's head to get cracked open in a shitty alleyway, you speccy git, so be careful. Okay?" Her reply was sharp, and as soon as she'd spouted it she fell back in line towards Remus and Sirius. Peter stayed near the front, joining gleefully into the conversation as James placed Lily upright on the ground again.

"Is your friend always such a twat?" She asked, hoping her voice sounded more humorous than cruel. 

The sudden arrival of her voice shocked the two men and they jumped apart, leaving between them a sizeable distance of clear space. Lennon said nothing, not concerned by their suspicious behaviour as the darkness concealed their actions.

"Pretty much. None of us are particularly boyfriend material though, are we Pads?" Remus joked, moving closer to his friend tentatively to jab him lightly in the ribs with his elbow.

"Not for young girls like you, anyways," Sirius teased, having expertly deduced that Lennon hated being undermined for her age. He may have only met her that evening, but she didn't seem to have a complex bone in her body. With Lennon Lowe, what you saw was exactly what you would get.

"We're not really all that young, y'know. Must you tease us endlessly for it?" She groaned, knowing all too well that her protests would only add fuel to their ever-burning fire of mockery. 

"Whatever you say, love." Remus shoved his hands into his large pockets, the material of his thick, long coat drowning his lanky body. "You got the time, Pads?"

Sirius lifted his head; he was being the quietest he had been all night. Deciding not to say anything, Lennon studied his face for any signs of tell-tale emotion but found nothing. Unlike her, he seemed to be a closed book, and any personal information he held dear obviously required an emotional attachment for him to share it. He lifted his arm closer to his face, squinting his eyes at the hands on the watch-face amidst the evening's murk. 

"I make that about twelve thirty, Moony." He dropped his arm back to his side limply, glancing between his companions. Lennon's vague smile fell instantly, and even in the shadows her face obviously paled. 

"Shit. Shit, shit, shit! We have to hurry up! C'mon!" She reached desperately between the two men, fumbling to reach for their calloused hands to drag them hurriedly along the street.

In unison, the three dashed forward towards the group a few metres ahead of them. Left, right, left, right. Their timing with each other was impeccable, despite Lennon's far shorter legs; she was just glad she had natural speed on her side. Detaching herself from the duo, Lennon rushed forward and draped herself around Lily, much to the ginger's annoyance.

"What is it, Len?" Lily huffed, her irritation evident in her voice. "I was talking to the boys before you so rudely interrupted."