55

"I don't know what to wear," I declared, standing in front of Max who paid no attention to me and continued watching the television even though I was literally standing in front of it.

"What do you mean? What you're wearing right now is fine, May," he said, not even bothering to look at me.

I rolled my eyes. "It's kind of for an important event."

"Then wear that frilly dress thing, no big deal," he shrugged, still not looking at me.

"What 'frilly dress thing'? I don't have a frilly dress."
"The pink one with all the ribbons and laces, duh."
"Max."
"Yes, May?"
"That was my princess dress for my costume party back during fourth grade."
"Oh."

I groaned, "Ugh, be serious please. I don't know what to wear!" I exclaimed.

"Wear clothes," Max gave me an unimpressed look.

"For heaven's sake, Max! You're no help at all," I huffed.

Max rolled him eyes, finally sitting up to face me properly. "Just wear whatever, May. What sort of 'important event' is this supposed to be anyway?"

"I have a date."
"Oh, well in that ca- wait, WHAT?"
"You don't have to scream, Max. I'm standing right in front of you."

"What date? When? With who? WITH WHO?" He stood up and gripped my shoulders, shaking me like a mad man, which he actually is one right now.

"Stop it!" I pushed him away and glared at him.

"Wait till I get my hands on that bastard-"
"MAX, it's just Jace, okay? You don't need to worry-"
"OH, I have all the reason to worry. What if that little shit hurts you?!"
"Jesus christ, Max."

He put his hands up in surrender. "Alright, alright. I won't say anything else. You win."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Sure."

"Hey, what's with that tone? Don't give me that tone, missy," Max huffed.

"Ugh, I hate you so much," I start making my way back upstairs.

"Love you too!" he called, right before I slammed the door shut.

I stood in front of the pile of clothes littered on my bed and what used to be my floor. I start pacing back and forth, not knowing what to do.

I mean, for fuck's sake, May! It's just one dumb date with Jace. No big deal. It's not like you've never been on a date before, pfft. How hard can picking an outfit be, amirite?

I made a run for my phone on the bedside table and quickly dialed Eloria's phone number.

"Pick up, pick up, pick up," I kept chanting.

"Hello?"

"ELORIA I NEED HELP PICKING OUT AN OUTFIT OH MY GOD HELP ME PLEASE."

"Holy shit, May. Calm down. Don't panic-"

"I'M PANICKING."

"GOD DAMMIT MAY KNOCK YOURSELF OUT."

"OKAY. Okay, I'm calm now."

"Okay, great. Now go grab your comfy black leggings, the one with the thick fabric, okay?"

"Yeah, okay."
I quickly scavenged the pile of clothing until I managed to pull out my leggings.

"And now you need to get you- wait, is this a casual date?"

"I don't fucking now, El. That stupid Jace didn't even tell me where we're going."