Part 3

"What are you doing here?" Karson asked her.

"I'm here to help a friend," Adelaide answered, "and to knock some sense into you."

"Yeah well it's not gonna work," Karson fought, "and since when do you care, huh? Last time I checked, you wanted nothing to do with either one of us."

"I care about you Karson," she defended, but he wasn't buying it.

"You got a real funny way of showin' it," he continued, "where were you when we needed help, huh? What you think 'cause your mom gained a couple hundreds when we were kids, you suddenly think you're too good for us. If there was anyone that left me high and dry it was you." Danny watched as his friend stood and glared at her cousin, and began to take a step back when she closed the door and threw her jacket off. She always did that for whatever reason when she was about to intensify things. And he could tell she was about to set him straight.

"Okay, you wanna play that game. Then here it is," she said sitting on the edge of the table, "I know what went down in your family. Your dad was a drunk. And a mean one at that I know he beat your mom and you and Harley. And I know your mom ran away to Aunt Carol's when your dad blocked out one night, and left you too behind."

"My mother left because she'd rather live your life than her own," Karson testified.

"Your mother left because your father was an abusive drunk," Adelaide told him, "and she couldn't take it anymore. She wanted to go back for the both of you but she knew your dad wouldn't let you two go. So we tried and she was right. Your dad refused to let you go. So we decided to try when he wasn't home. Then it stopped becoming your dad who was rejecting us and it became Harley."

"You're lying," Karson said, "you always lie. You always have!"

"I'm not the one lying," she said, "your brother's been filling you with crap for so many years that can't see the truth when it's right in front of you. Harley's the one that turned us away."

"No, it was you," Karson fought back, "you told us yourself you wanted nothing to do with us!"

"Him," she corrected, "I wanted nothing to do with him. Especially considering he tried to push me around like some kind of rag doll."

"He's not that bad of a guy Addy!"

"Not that bad?! He put Danny in the hospital Karson! He made you think your entire family didn't care about you when all we were trying to do was save you! Do you even hear yourself? Harley Garcia doesn't care about me or Danny or anyone! What makes you think that you are any different?" Karson stayed silent as Adelaide shouted at him, trying to make what she was saying crystal clear to him. And Danny could see that every word was hitting him hard and that he was possibly beginning to question his loyalty to his brother.

"We both know what happened that night," Addy continued, "and we both know that of all four of you, you're the most innocent. And if you side with Harley, you'll go down just as hard as him and we both know that's not right."

"Karson," Danny stepped in, "I didn't want to charge you then. But I can sure as hell do it now. Don't make me. I may not have been happy that you didn't do anything, but I know that charging you alongside Harley isn't right. Don't let him take you down." Karson continued to sit silently but they knew he was pondering his brother's true intentions due to the new information. Adelaide and Danny stood nervously waiting for a response for they knew if Karson still refused, then it was over. They weren't going to get anything out of him. Finally he spoke.

"Fine," he said simply, "I'll do it. I'll testify."

"Good choice," Danny said and both him and Adelaide grabbed their things and left the box.