Part 5

"Addy what makes you so sure it's Karson?" Erin asked her.

"Who else could it be?" she fought, "he knows you guys are investigating his brother, and no matter what Karson still thinks Harley's the good guy. Even when we were trying to get him to testify he was still trying to convince me his brother wasn't the villain. Only Karson would know how to contact Harley without tipping off anyone in the precinct."

"If he is the one that snitched about the case, then he probably knows where Harley is," Jaime chimed in.

"If that's true then we need to alert everyone at the 54," Erin instructed, "they can't let him out of his sight." Jaime then left the group to make the call.

"Are we allowed to go see him?" Pearson asked.

"Yeah here I'll take you guys," Linda volunteered and lead the two over to her husband's hospital room. Left standing alone, Erin looked over to her father who sat looking miserable and staring off into space. Her heart ached for him and she began making her way over to him. She sat down across from him and noticed he didn't even flinch at her approach.

"How you holding up?" she asked him as he finally looked up and acknowledged her.

"Danny told me about those boys all those years ago even before they assaulted him," he expressed, "and we're still here."

"This is not your fault," she tried, but there was a part of her that knew that she couldn't convince him of that.

"I played a part in everything, Erin," he argued, "that's something that I can't ignore." That left her without words. She knew what part her father played, and how horrible he had felt since that night in 1982. In that moment she was out of options, out of ideas. She had no idea how she would help her father.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danny lay asleep in his bed, feeling pretty at peace, something that surprised him. For a man that had just been shot and almost died, he lay surprisingly calm in his bed in a peaceful sleep as if he had experienced nothing. Maybe it was the drugs. Maybe it was his view. maybe it was something about cheating death and getting to be with his family again that gave him that sense of peace. That slice of tranquility. Soon his mind and body began to feel lighter as his eyes fluttered open. The light from his hospital room greeted him again, as did the smile of his blonde best friend sitting on the edge of his bed.

"I swear you have more lives than a cat," she said to him and all he could do was smile. Only Adelaide could make him feel comfortable and somewhat normal in a situation like this.

"Hey," he greeted, sounding more cheerful than he appeared.

"How you feelin' doctor?" Pearson asked with a smile. Doctor was one of the many nicknames his friend had for him, solely because of his initials D.R. Danny found this one to be a joke, considering he would never see himself as a doctor. Nickname of no nickname.

"I'm alright," he admits.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah." And soon, Danny could tell things were about to get serious, as his normally goofy and sarcastic friends went nerve rackingly silent.

"What's going on?" he asked, but his question was only answered with more silence, "come on guys. You really gonna try to keep a secret from me, of all people? Now?" And with that they gave in.

"Detective Velma over here has a theory she wants to bounce off you," Pearson said, jokingly trying to break the tension. Danny smiled, letting himself relax a bit at his friend's words. Pearson made everything seem like no big deal, no matter how serious. Some people might take this as an inability to take things seriously, but Danny for one thought it took away a negative. Made it seem like there was going to be a light at the end of the tunnel.