CH 6: Learning

I awoke when I felt Xaez move, I yawned, and shoved him a little bit. I couldn't really tell if he was still sleeping, he was curled up into a ball and breathing heavily.

"Xaez," I yawned again, "Wake up buddy." He growled in response, now that I knew that he was awake I went to my backpack to grab some food. I sat and watched Xaez as I munched on the food.

'Today might be interesting,' I looked down at my two new pistols 'Learning to use these, that will be fun, maybe I can go hunting with Xaez, yeah that'd be pretty awesome' I smiled and looked at Xaez again.

He shifted a bit and uncurled.

"Good morning Xaez!" I said cheerfully then looked at my watch to see if it really was morning, it was, 6:54 AM.

Xaez looked at me, he opened his mouth and that second mouth came out and opened too. Then it closed and went back. I stared at him with my head tilted. 'Was that supposed to be a yawn?' He walked up to me, nuzzled his head against mine, then got up onto his back legs.

 I ate the food for a little longer, put them back into my backpack, and stood up. "Where do we go next?" I tossed my backpack over my shoulder and looked down at my blanket, "I don't think I should carry that anymore, makes the backpack to big..."

Xaez hissed and began to walk through the forest. I followed behind him. He seemed to have a very easy time walking around the trees and seemed to balance extremely well on tree roots, I on the other hand, was almost walking into the trees and stumbled over the tree roots.

'And people said I was good at bushwhacking... Well... I am when is comes to running...' I grumbled to myself, I was so good when I ran through the bushes I seemed to fly across all the obstacles. I began to watch my feet, in my peripheral view I could see Xaez looking back at me with that big grin on his face.

I looked back up at him and growled, "Can we take it up to a run? I don't stumble as much."

Xaez nodded and began to jog, I jogged up next to him. We jogged for a few minutes then he brought it up to a run, he ran a bit faster than me but I could tell it wasn't his fastest run. We did that for about a minute and he started to sprint.

Now I was sprinting just behind him, and laughing. Xaez didn't look back at me, he just kept sprinting as fast as he could. I tried to push myself to go faster, my backpack wasn't helping me at all. When I finally got beside him, Xaez looked at me and opened his mouth with what I think was surprise.

He grinned at me as he jumped on the nearest tree and began to jump tree to tree. Now he was out running me. 'This is the fastest I've ever gone!'  It felt so great being able to run like this and not even be tired yet. I guessed that because of my constant running the days before helped with my stamina.

We ran until we reached a road. I realized that we were pretty far from the city now, but the lake was still there, and a beach was on the other side of the road. I looked both ways to make sure that there was no cars coming then I ran across the road to the beach.

Xaez paused and looked at me and walked across to join me.

"This is my favorite lake," I looked at Xaez and smiled, "I love to swim in it, I used to swim all the time, I remember in swimming lessons my teacher said I was the best and the fastest out of all the other swimmers."

Xaez tiled his head and screeched.

"Do you think I can swim in it one last time before we head off to... where ever we're going to." I asked.

Xaez nodded and grinned at me again.

"Now the only problem... I didn't think to pack extra clothes or a bathing suit, so what do I do?" He growled and shrugged. "Well I guess I could just swim in my underwear... though that's a bit weird... screw it!" I dropped my backpack to the ground and took off my clothes and holsters until I was just wearing my underwear.