CH 7: Contact

We had walked in silence for a few hours, we came across a few Xenomorphs but they didn't last long.

"So," I said breaking the silence as I walked next to Prone, "What's your real name?"

He looked at me, "Cortez Salazar, Sergeant Cortez Salazar."

I smiled at him, "Sounds like a Spanish name."

"Yes, it is," Prone smiled back at me, "Everyone calls me Prone though."

"Why?" I asked as I glanced at the forest. Xaez was still following us, I could see something teal and black move between the tree's when Prone wasn't looking, but other than that he was completely invisible.

"My squad said I was accident prone, I used to end up hurting myself, I don't anymore." He grabbed his Rifle from his back, "so that's how I got the nickname Prone," he nudged me, "know what this is?" He held his weapon up.

I looked at it, " A rifle?"

"Yep, C8A3 Carbine Rifle, if you get good enough with those pistols I bet I can teach you how to use this." He smiled again and held his Carbine close to him.

We went silent again. 'Learning how to use a Carbine? That's even better than these pistols! I just have to learn to trust him and he has to learn to trust me.' Up ahead I could see a small building, I decided to keep quiet knowing that Prone would've already seen it by now.

I waited a few moments then said, "Prone, can we stop and rest for a bit over at that building?"

"Your legs sore?" he asked.

"Yeah."

"Okay, we'll take a small break," He grinned at me, "it looks like a gas station so maybe we can grab a car, or get you some candy."

I chuckled.

I smiled as we got closer, I began to run but Prone grabbed my backpack and pulled me back. "Wait." he said as he crouched and slowly walked toward the entrance of the small building. "Take out your pistol." he whispered to me.

I did as told and crept up beside him, "What are you doing?" I asked.

"We have to make sure it's safe." He whipped around the corner and walked into the store, I followed behind him. He checked behind the counter, in the back, and both of the washrooms. Once we finished checking the area we went back to the counter.

I sat down on a chair behind the counter. Instantly my legs felt so much better, they were still sore, but better.

Prone walked up and down the aisles, "Someone's raided this place," he said looking at me, "basically no food or water left."

"It's okay, I got food and water." I took off my backpack and took out some water, I handed one to Prone. I handed him a bottle as he sat down next to me. I put my pistol back into the holster. "Do you have any food?" I took out a can of corn as he took a sip from the bottled water.

"Yeah but only army rations, they're not the tastiest things in the world." He lowered his own backpack to take out some food.

"Cold corn ain't so good either." I grabbed my combat knife and stabbed at the can until it opened,  put the knife down and ate a mouthful of cold corn. Prone chuckled, he opened up a green bag, put a weird bag that said FRH on it into the bag and added some water too. He put some type of chicken on the bag and waited. Suddenly the bag started  to steam and Prone began to eat the food. He picked up a bar that read "HOOAH!" on it, and took a bite. I stared at him for a few moments then got back to eating my corn.

We ate for a few minutes, but then Prone noticed my blade, he merely choked on his food, "Why do you have a Combat Knife?"

I grabbed the blade, and finished off my food before answering, "I found it and took it." I walked to a waste bin and tossed out the can. Just as I was about to walk back to Prone, three people walked by the doorway, two men and one woman.