CH 17: Crossroads

It was dusk now and I was sitting in the grass out in the field staring at the trees, planning how I was going to get away without anyone seeing. I stared down at the dogtags Vance had given me, strangling me with the need to leave.

I sighed looking back toward the camp site. Roman was talking to Porter again, and Stephen and Vance were Patrolling. Sasha was walking around with Emmanuel talking to the civilians. And I was left sitting, watching everyone as they busied themselves. It was kind of awkward after talking about Prone, they seemed to want to give me some space after that, though Roman still stayed close.

I didn't really tell them anything after that anyway, what was I supposed to say? Sitting by myself gave me too much time to think about things I didn't want to, so I occupied my mind with ways of getting away. Of keeping Xaez away from them.

'I couldn't just up and leave, the others would easily out run me. But maybe I could sneak away? I squinted towards the forest trying to pierce through the thick treeline for signs of any movement. The only thing I could see were the tree tops moving in the wind. 'Maybe Xaez has forgotten about me? Although I don't think he ever would... Considering that he followed me even when I was at the base with Prone. I know he can protect me, but I can't let him hurt everyone else...'

I gripped the Dogtags tightly, my heart twisting with a mixture of volatile emotions. "At least I have something of you to hold on to..." I whispered softly to myself gazing out into the trees.

I sat in the grass for a few more minutes, fidgeting. I could hear people gathering behind me, collecting sticks for the fire. Looking back I saw everyone sitting down, waiting anxiously for the MRE's to be passed around so they could eat. I watched them for a bit and patted the grass with my hands, occasionally ripping a single piece out of the ground and rubbing a finger against it.

I glanced up for a moment and saw Roman looking at me from the APC, it wouldn't be long before he comes over and says I should eat something. 'Guess I should get it over with...' Dinner time was getting to be my least favorite time, my stomach felt queasy again at the thought of food. I didn't want to move, I just wanted to sit here quietly. I closed my eyes and breathed in the cool fresh air deeply, it seemed to help.

"Kat" Roman's voice broke the silence, I sheepishly opened my eyes to look up at him. "Are you going to come and eat with us?" He asked crouching down in front of me, "What are you doing out here anyway?"

"Nothing..." I mumbled.

He was quiet for a moment, "Look... If you want to talk..."

"About what?" I replied flatly. He looked down at me with a confused look, he opened his mouth as if to say something, but remained silent. I took his hand as he helped me to my feet, and we started walking towards the fire.

Porter was handing out the food this time. I walked up to Stephen, who was too busy stuffing his face to notice us and sat down next to him. Roman joined me and we waited for Porter to hand us our MRE's.

I sat and waited, looking over at Stephen. I had grown to like him and the way he talked, and how he tried to be funny. Stephen glanced over then turned his head to look at me, his mouth moving sloppily as he chewed with his mouth open like a drooling idiot before bursting out laughing and almost choking.

A smile broke my face and I looked back down at my now heated MRE, took it out of the bag and nibbled it. Roman was sitting and staring at his food, like he was lost in his own mind. The other people gathered around the fire were quiet, in the awkward silence the tension was beginning to show. They didn't seem to like the idea of being in one place to long.

Some looked nervously into the shadows with sleepless hollow eyes, fear drenched sweat staining their filthy clothes from days running from memories of things they desperately wanted to forget, but reality wouldn't allow.