THREE

"So you're a... vampire?" The innocent girl tilted her head curiously at him. "And so is he?" Klaus smiled, though it was strained. He felt somewhat odd with this. He loved her so much but this idea of her being by his side was now foreign. She had been gone so long. Would she leave if she saw him as he really was? His eyes flickered over to Stefan who looked somewhat judgemental.

"I'm a vampire and a werewolf. A hybrid." She nodded slowly, tilting her head as she looked him over.

"Am I?" He laughed a little. As if. According to his father, the bastard, despite the fact she spent nearly everyday at their side she was not 'in' the family and didn't deserve to be immortal. Or maybe that was meant to be a second punishment to him. Looking down at her with a smile, he knew she would never have handled it. He shook his head, taking her hand in his own. There was an odd look in his eyes that she hadn't seen before yet she found herself loving him more than ever.

"No, love. I never want you to have blood on your hands. You're far too pure." She blushed, cheeks pink as she brightly smiled. 

"And where are the others?" Klaus' smile dropped a little and he looked away. "My l-"

"They didn't agree with me. They're safer where they are now than ever." It was a lie but he couldn't say the truth. She held him so high in her eyes and he would rather prefer for it to stay like that. She didn't need to know how many people he had killed to save her. That would be the equivalent of her killing which would break her. And if he was being honest, she seemed to be in a rather fragile state as it was. "I promise." 

In the background of the hotel room, Stefan snorted. The two looked over, Aurora's eyebrows creasing together in confusion. Klaus simply shot him a warning glare, looking like he would kill Stefan if he tried to argue. Stefan forced a smile to Aurora. She didn't catch how forced it was, simply smiling cheerily. 

She laid back on the bed her and Klaus had been talking on, her eyes closing as she laid back. There was a pleasant sigh before she rolled to her side, eyes dreary and there was a dazed look on her face.

"I used to dream of living forever." She said, laughing slightly as she rolled back onto her back. "I mean I was always told I was a bit of a heavy sleeper but I didn't think I could possibly sleep for a thousand years." He forced a smile, nodding as he glanced off.

"Klaus. When are we leaving?" Stefan asked from the background, the older man looking over.

"Soon. We aren't staying here overnight." Klaus stood, looking back at his lover. "I'm going to take a shower. You two..." He paused, eyes staring at her calmly. "Go and get something to eat. Stefan will pay." 

She watched him with a confused look. Stefan almost felt bad for her. Almost. Though not enough to ask if she was okay. He stood up, motioning for her to follow him out of the hotel room as the water began running in the shower.  She followed him like a lost puppy.

"Is he angry at me?" Stefan shrugs a little, not looking back to see how nervous she looked. "He's not like this usually, is he? I just have never seen him like this." Stefan simply shrugged again. Despite the fact that he knows he is, the boy with a strong jaw refuses to answer. This girl reminded him of a human Caroline or worse, Elena. He hoped she would keep her innocence, unlike the other girls.

The two began to walk in silence and Stefan realises that he'd prefer her to be asking him questions than to be in silence. He stole a glance back to see the girl looking confused and even a bit lost at the idea of being without her friends and family.

The two found a diner. It reminded Stefan of the 50s, the black and white patterns looking interesting. He missed the 50s. He sighed a little, the two allies taking a seat in the booth. The bright looking brunette grabbed a menu, looking through it with excitement.

"What type of food is this?" She asked excitedly. He hid a smile, putting his own menu down to face her. He put one finger on each thing, explaining each with a calm look. When a waitress came over the young girl ordered perfectly, giving Stefan an excited look when she got it right.

He smiled back, ordering his own food before relaxing in his seat. The girl was a refreshing change from Klaus' ice cold attitude and huge ego. 

"What do you want to know?" He finally said, noticing she was fidgeting a little. 

"A lot!" She exclaimed but then calmed, looking down. "Everything. How did the Mikaelson's become... v-v-"

"Vampires?" He asked, raising an eyebrow as he leaned forward. She swallowed, nodding with wide eyes. "I'm not quite sure if I'm being honest. Klaus doesn't like to talk about the past from what I've seen." A slight frown slipped onto her face.

"Why not?"

"You tell me." She furrowed her eyebrows, tilting her head.

"Well I mean his father was a bit..." She seemed to be looking for a word to say. "Difficult? I can't think of words within my knowledge to describe him. He didn't particularly care for Niklaus, though I don't know why. Esther and his father were a bit of an odd couple but she was kind to me. He was just rather indifferent about my precense. He thought I made the family weaker than ever but I think he just didn't like me that much."

She shrugged, looking around the table. It didn't seem to bother her talking about it. Yet then he caught the conflicted look in her eyes and raised a brow.

"Where are the others?" She finally asked, nearly seconds before the food came. She muttered a 'thank you' to the waitress before picking up a french fry curiously. "No one will tell me. He won't, Caroline didn't even acknowledge them, the lady Liz wouldn't either. Do you know Stefan?" He swallowed.

He didn't want to lie to her. She was the oldest human in history after all. So he simply shrugged as he had before they entered and began to eat. He now understood why the Mikaelson's father thought of her as a weakness. She was rather sweet but he himself felt so guilty not telling her the truth about the people she obviously cared about. Klaus would surely kill him.

That was for sure. For at their hotel, not too far away Klaus had punched a mirror at his sheer ignorance. He couldn't keep Aurora out of it. She wasn't like her siblings who he could dagger when he pleased. She was Aurora, his one true love. He growled to himself as he stared at himself in the shards of a mirror. Why couldn't he just tell her everything that happened?

It all clicked suddenly. He slowly straightened up, feeling a weight lifted.

How could an angel like her love the demon this world had made of him? His only answer was time. He would take his time with the truth, take his time with telling her why she was in a coma-like state. All he could ask was for her to take her time to rediscover him. A slow smile spread on his face as he turned.

They had a road trip to go on, didn't they?

a/n

okay, i was rather unsure how i felt about this chapter but i think that i really like how it ended up. i'm gonna go ahead and continue writing and leave this chapter as it is.