FOUR

The newly formed trio sat in the very car they would be spending a lot of time in this summer. There was a silence and Stefan, from the back seat, leaned forward. Klaus gave him a look but he ignored it, instead stabbing the radio button.

An odd pop song came on and at the girl's somewhat whiney tone, Stefan began to look through other stations. He finally seemed to settle on an alternative station. He leaned back, ignoring the pointed look from Klaus and the confused one from Aurora.

She leaned forward, grabbing the handle in excitement before finally beginning to wheel through channels. The static that would occasionally come through mixed with the changing things left the two vampires looking annoyed. Klaus put a hand on her own, shaking his head.

"Love, while your interest in the radio is amusing and adorable, I think that we should leave it on one station." She looked a bit confused but nodded. After a moment, she wheeled it the other way and miraculously ended right where Stefan had put it.

"What's a radio?" She asked, only after a moment of the music playing. Stefan laughed a little and that seemed to lighten the mood - but only a little. Klaus drove them towards his first location. He didn't feel lightened. He instead wished to pull the car over and say everything that happened to his family.

The music was playing mellowly in the car and after hearing most of the same songs playing over Aurora found herself humming along. She liked the odd music, something Klaus noticed when he would look over to make sure he was driving fine.

He couldn't help but feel bad. He didn't think she still understood why he was making Stefan and her go with him towards wherever his leads could take him. In fact, as he drove and left himself with his own thoughts, he realized that he hadn't told her. This was an issue. She was so curious, and he loved that, but he knew he had to tell her the truth. All of it.

He glanced at her from the corner of his eye, swallowing back his own agitation. He looked away from her, eyes lowered. He still drove however. 

"We can stop and get you some more clothes, love." Klaus said, touching her arm gently. She looked over, blinking in confusion before nodding. "You're going to need more than one outfit." She glanced off, rubbing the back of her neck.

"Klaus?" He raised an eyebrow in his way of acknowledging her question. "Can I maybe have a phone?" He didn't respond immediately. "I'm asking because I saw that you have one and when I was with Caroline and the others they all had phones. And Stefan has one!" He looked over, at first emotionless before a smile spread. 

"Yes, you can have one." He said, seeming tired.

A bright smile, one filled with nothing but absolute joy as she laughed. It reminded Klaus of how she used to laugh at his jokes and at the antics from his family. The laughs that were usually thrown Kol's way or even occasionally Finn, with his odd antics.

The three were now in silence, left with their own silence. They each had reasons for wanting to break this silence but none would act on it. 

Stefan, despite having just met the girl, felt bad. He wanted to tell her what had happened. Though he admired everything that Klaus went through to wake her up, he was still a monster. She wasn't. She was so innocent. His eyes slipped over towards Klaus, finding himself annoyed with him. Yes, the two were from centuries ago yet they were like a teen couple from some show. The same type that was more relevant now than ever.

Klaus, who knew his actions of hiding his past from her were bad, felt terrible. This was from him, the hybrid without a care in the world. He loved her more than anything in this world. Especially his family. Should he try to explain everything to her? He felt like she might never get over it. He swallowed somewhat nervously. She would hate him, wouldn't she? He sighed silently, driving in pure silence. Another day. 

And then there was Aurora. Sweet Aurora who felt like she was a complete fool. Why had she been left in a deep sleep? Was she somehow connected to everything? Her eyes widened slightly. Was she actually a supernatural? She snuck a glance at Klaus. He never had explained the 'Elena looks identical to Tatia' thing, despite her asking that same night she saw Elena.

"Where are we going?" She finally asked, looking confused as they passed another sign. 

"Florida. We have a summer ahead of us, we're going to be in this car quite a bit." Klaus said, glancing over. "Why? Are you okay?"

"Isn't this going to take a while?" He shrugged.

"Yes, but that's why we have the whole summer." He smiled and reached over to take her arm. "It'll be fine, love." She slowly nodded.

"Klaus..." She started before stopping herself. She rubbed her neck before finally speaking once more. "When can I see them?" He gripped the steering wheel tightly. "I know that you told me not to worry but still. I'm just kind of desperate to see Rebekah soon." 

"Later." He said, knuckles white. "You'll see her before the end of the summer." Her eyes lit up and she grinned in joy. He didn't make eye contact with her, knowing Stefan was giving him a worried look. The facts were this wasn't apart of his plan. Rebekah would most likely even try to kill him when she awoke.

He looked over when they were at a stop sign, noticing how she was fidgeting from boredom. He reached over, taking one of her hands in his while keeping his other on the wheel.

"I must warn you, love. Rebekah has been away for a long time. She will most likely attempt to kill me when I let her out and I ask for you not to be by my side when this opportunity comes." He said, looking at her with worry in his eyes. "For while she will love your presence at my side, she will know nothing but rage in her first moments." He said, squeezing her hand gently. "Promise me you will be away from me at that day." 

"I promise." She said, smiling at him gently. If you saw them going by, you may have thought they were a young couple in love. Which was somewhat true, the two were young (in appearance) and definitely in love with one another though they were most likely not considered the perfect young couple in love. They were far from it.