Chapter 4- One Little Lie

My jaw dropped at Roger's words.

"Excuse me?"

"You know, an operative, a spy, an agent working for an organization to help gather information and solve crimes," Roger said, rolling his eyes. I looked back and forth between Ms. Tyrans and Roger, flabbergasted. "You must be joking."

"On the contrary, we are quite serious Ms. Roberts," Ms. Tyrans said.

"Allow me to explain. Mr. Polkevich and I work for an organization called the Association of International Agents, otherwise known as the AIA. We are a large network of spies, assassins, and highly trained secret agents who share the common goal of keeping our world safe. Every year, we seek out individuals who we believe would make an excellent addition to our secret service. We interview them, decide if they are acceptable, and then the new recruits undergo a rigorous three month training period. Due to your exceptional skills, you have been offered a position in this exclusive program."

Ms. Tyrans paused, expecting me to ask a question or speak, but I was far too shocked to manage anything more than gawking and staring, so she continued.

"Housing, travel costs, meals, and necessities are all supplied, along with a weekly pay check. It's a paid internship, in a way, and as long as you follow all the rules and complete training successfully you are guaranteed the job."

"A very high paying job, although demanding," Roger chimed in. "So what do you think, Ms. Roberts?"

I sat in silence staring at my two interviewers, thoughts racing through my head. "To be quite honest... Aren't I a little under qualified?"

"You're a top student, a former gymnast and know a thing or two about combat. The rest we can teach you through training," Roger said with a shrug.

"We understand this is a lot to process. Would you like a minute to consider?"  Ms. Tyrans added. A minute? Screw that. I needed hours, days, weeks, just to process the past hour, let alone a job as... some sort of spy. The word felt childish, like this was all some sort of joke.

"Yes, thank you," I said slowly, and I gave myself over to my thoughts.

Seems dangerous... but its an opportunity , I thought to myself. Intriguing, even; here was an option I had never even considered. I always thought my years of gymnastics and martial arts had been a waste of time. I'm not so enthusiastic about violence, but I could learn. I shuddered at that thought and pushed it away as I considered other, more pressing things. I needed a job, I had no where else to go... nothing better to do.

I guess there was really only one answer then.

"When do I start?" I said, and my two interviewers smiled.

"Early June—your training will be at our home compound in England, for three months. There are about thirty or so more trainees, which you will meet when you arrive at the compound. We will send you travel tickets and more information later this month."

Ms. Tyrans and Roger got up, and I followed suit. "It was lovely to meet you, Ms. Roberts.  I wish you luck." 

"Thank you, Ms. Tyrans," I said as I shook her hand, and I managed a slight nod towards Roger, who I was still pissed at for tricking me.

"Mr. Polkevich will take you home... Oh, and one more thing," she said as we were about to exit the room.

"You may not tell anyone, anyone, what this interview was about, or about why you are going to England this summer. Not your parents, not your teachers, not your friends.  Doing so will have very... unpleasant consequences," she warned. I instantly thought of Ian. It's not like I couldn't keep a secret, but I had never, not even once, lied to Ian.