Chapter 13- It Begins

Despite the many eternities spent on the rooftop, Cam and I managed to be back at the compound by ten, where we found everyone else milling around the commons room.

Hazel ran up to us, a sparkle in her eyes that I hadn't seen before. "Where have you two been? I've been looking for Gracie everywhere!"

Cam crossed his arms in a frown as I laughed. "We spent a day out on the town," I said, and Hazel nodded, looking back and forth between Cam and I inquisitively.

"Well this has been a lovely conversation, but I need to talk to Gracie. Like, right now. See you later Cam!" Hazel said as she pulled me towards my room.

"What was that about?"

I received no answer as Hazel barged into my room and locked the door behind us.

"What's going on with you and Cam?"

"What? Nothing, we're just friends," I said.

Hazel gave me a look. "Really? Then why did you two seem so dreamy-eyed when you got back here?"

"We were looking at the stars. That's enough to make anyone dreamy-eyed, don't you think?" I said. Judging by Hazel's expression, she still wasn't buying it.

I sighed. "We just talked, okay? I promise. I wouldn't keep secrets from you."

Hazel smiled. "I believe you. And don't make promises you can't keep."

Before I could ask her what she meant, there was a knock at the door.

"Hello? Gracie, are you in there?" Theo said, his smooth voice muted by the door.

Hazel gasped slightly. "You've got both Cam and Theo? No fair," she complained, and I shushed her.

"Coming, just give me a second," I said as I got up, leaving Hazel giggling behind me.

I opened the door to Theo's ever attractive face smiling down at me. "If I'm correct, I do believe I asked you to come watch movies with me."

"I know, but Hazel had something really important to tell me, so she made me stop here first. Plus, I don't know where your room is."

"Well let's fix that problem, shall we?" He said, his emerald green eyes shining. The next thing I knew he was holding me like he had most of the afternoon, if not a little closer than before.

"You two kids have fun, I'll make sure to lock up on my way out," Hazel shouted to us from the door frame as Theo carried my down the hall.

"Thanks Hazel!" I shouted back with a smile. I saw her give me a thumbs up before she disappeared as we rounded a corner.

"And... here we are," Theo said, depositing me at his door. Turns out his room was in the hall across from mine, the third door on the right.

"Ladies first," he said as he held the door open for me, shutting it gently behind us.

"Any movie preferences?" He said as he plopped down on the side of his bed, motioning for me to sit next to him.

"Not really, no. You got any ideas?"

"Horror movie?"

I scoffed as I sat down beside him. "Those are never really scary, but sure."

Theo looked back at me with a smirk. "Is that a challenge?"

I looked him up and down, reflecting his smirk. "Yes, I think it is. I bet you that any horror movie you put on will not scare me--"

"And what happens when you lose?"

I paused for a moment. "You mean if I lose--"