Chapter 18- Leave Me Alone

I woke up in a bright white room, what I assumed to be the infirmary wing of headquarters. I didn't take the time to look around and confirm my suspicions; as soon as I could lift my legs out of bed I ran as fast as I could to my room, disregarding the way the floor was moving and the fact that everything seemed a little fuzzy.

By the time I had shoved past people I didn't take the time to look at my vision had mostly cleared, and I burst into my room frantically searching for my phone.

I found it and opened Chatter as fast as I could, quickly video chatting Ian. "C'mon, please don't be dead, please tell me that sick bastard didn't really do it," I muttered, tapping my fingers against my leg, biting my lip, trying to focus on anything other than the possibility that my best friend might be--

No. Don't even think about it. It can't be true, it can't be. I noticed I had left my door ajar, and I went over and slammed it shut as I waited for him to pick up.

I listened to every beep, waiting for him to respond. With every beep I felt my hope sink, and the frantic fear that held me earlier threatened to break my fragile composure into full on hysterics once again.

Please Ian, please pick up. Pick up, pick up, pick up, pick up, pick up--

"Hello?"

I heard Ian's voice, then saw his smiling face appear on the screen.

"Ian!" I shouted, letting myself cry freely. "Ian, I'm so sorry, I thought you were gone, I thought-- I thought--"

"Woah, slow down there, it's fine, I'm here. Are you okay? You seem frantic, and your face is really pale... and is that a black eye? Is your jaw bruised? What the hell is going on, Gracie?" Ian said, his expression filled with worry.

I closed my eyes and shook my head. His voice. It was so good to hear his voice. I had never picked up on how soothing it was, how calm it could make me.

"I--I'm fine. I thought something terrible had happened to you-- but you're fine, it was all a dream. A really, really bad dream."

"I'm fine. The question is, are you? This is only the second time in a week you've called, and your face is purple and blue with bruises--"

"I'm fine, I promise. There was an accident at one of the buildings; some thugs tried to steal some of our equipment, and I tried to fend them off. It didn't work out well," I lied smoothly, feeling a little guilty for lying to Ian again.

"Gracie, why would you do that? I can't imagine you hurting a fly, let alone trying to take on a gang of thugs," he said, shaking his head. I closed my eyes, images of me thrashing Francis reentering my thoughts. If only he knew.

"You've been away from me for not even two weeks, and look at all the trouble you get yourself into," he said, running a hand through his bleach blond hair, smiling at me.

I faked a smile, unable to joke so soon after the trauma Roger had put me through. If that asshole ever dared to come near me ever again--

"Gracie? Can you hear me?"

"Uh--No, sorry, I think the connection went out for a minute," I said, shaking my head to clear my thoughts.

"I said, are you enjoying the internship?"

I thought about that for a minute. Right now, I wasn't; but I tried to focus on the friends I'd made and on the good, victorious memories rather than the terrifying ones as I answered him.

"It's tough, but rewarding. What about you?"

"It's great here. It's perfect-- there's so many cool projects they have going on here, it's just incredible," he said, his eyes filled with wonder.