Chapter 11- The First Challenge

"Uh, yeah, just give me a minute!" I shouted, then turned back to Ian. "Shit," I muttered.

"Who was that?" Ian said quickly. "Just one of my fellow trainees. You see, I'm technically not supposed to be calling or face-timing anyone--"

"Are you okay?" Theo shouted through the door.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just give me a minute!" I shouted back, and when I turned back to Ian, his smile was a little dimmer.

"I get it, they're strict and all that. I'll go, it sounds like you're a bit busy. And remember, this is untraceable, so call me when you get the chance okay?"

"Okay," I smiled, and Ian smiled back. "Oh and Gracie... next call, you have some explaining to do," he said with a smirk. "I want to know who this Theo guy is--"

"Okay, okay, bye," I laughed, and quickly ended the call.

"Come in!" I shouted, and Theo hastily opened the door to my room.

"Hello. Nice place you got here," Theo said as he looked around.

I didn't respond, and he sighed. "We have to be at the training center in five minutes, and I didn't see you anywhere, so I'm here to make sure you don't get kicked out," he said, his emerald eyes fixed on my face.

"It's time already?" I said as I glanced at my watch. "Alright, I'm coming."

*********

"So how'd you find my room anyways?" I asked Theo as we walked down the hallways.  "I have my ways," he said with a smirk, and we continued down the hallway.

"Any idea what the assignment will be?" He asked me, and I shook my head. "Not a clue."

We walked into the training center right as my watch read seven thirty. "Barely made it," Hazel shouted as she walked towards us. "Where'd you disappear to?"

"I just went to take a nap. All this beating people up business is exhausting," I said. "How'd the rest of lunch go? Did--" I was cut off by Derrick whistling sharply for our attention.

"Alright, here we go. Roger, would you like to explain their first assignment?" Roger nodded stiffly and turned to us.

"Here at the AIA, we have to act on short notice, sometimes with little to no preparation. Your first assignment will test your skills to think and act quickly. Each of you will be assigned a target, who will have in his or her possession a  flash drive which they have been told to carefully guard. Your goal is to get this flash drive and have it in your possession by eight tomorrow morning.

"You will be assigned your targets, and we will give you three hours to prepare. We will drop you all off at the same location, where all of your targets will be. Find your own ride back here. If you come back here by eight with the flash drive, you are exempt from training for the entire day. Any questions?"

We stood still, too stunned to speak. "Excellent. Your assigned target file should be on your desk in your rooms by now. Have your phones on you, so we can track you in case you get into trouble. Oh, and also, dress as if you were going to a party," Roger said, and Derrick smirked beside him.

I looked over at Hazel, who was smiling deviously.  "What's up with you?" I said as I walked over to her and people began to filter out of the training center.

"I'll tell you once we get to my room," she said mysteriously, and I followed her out the door.

*********